Circa 1755, 2-storey symmetrical 10-bay S facing range linked
by recessed single storey single bays to 2-storey, 2-bay outer
pavilions with piended roofs. Harled with polished sandstone
ashlar margins, white painted at N.
S elevation with 10 bays divided as 2 5-bay groups, the 1st
floor windows being slightly longer than ground floor. Mural
sundial (dated 1663) re-set in centre. Principal entrance in
right (E) link, matched by single window in left (W) link.
Outer pavilions with single centre ground and 1st floor windows.
N elevation; main block divided into 2 wide 3-bay units with
centre door in right (W). Further entrance in W quadrant;
outer wings with single ground floor window in outer bays
and with paired 1st floor fenestration. Some alteration to
entrances, that to W having modern wide garage door; forestair
to E gable of E pavilion. 4 and 8-pane glazing; pair diminutive
attic windows in E gable of main block; deep eaves bands and
cavetto eaves cornice; end and centre corniced ashlar stacks
with string courses; slate roofs, piended at outer pavilion
Further small square single storey, single bay rubble outer
wings, rubble with tooled ashlar margins and eaves band,
and with pyramidal slate roofs linked either side of main
range by short length of walling (former privies).
Barn; large rectangular barn closes W side of rear rectangular
court; long slit mural vents and piended loft door breaking
eaves. Mainly corrugated asbestos roofing.
Ranges of varied farm buildings to N and E close rear court.
Statement of Special Interest
Glenmoriston one of 3 linen factories establised by Board of
Trustees (of Forfeited Estates) in Highlands (the others at New
Kelso by Loch Carron and at Loch Broom). Establishment also
included a school to "instruct youth of the glen... industry
and principals of literature". Factory was not a commercial
success and was sold back to Invermoriston Estate in 1791,
since when it has been home farm. Factory sited at loch-side to facilitate transport of material by water.