Circa 1810, single storey, 4-bay building over basement.
Coursed bullfaced rubble, with contrasting polished sandstone
ashlar margins and dressings; random rubble to basement
frontage, also with ashlar dressings. Symmetrical N and S
elevations with slightly advanced centre 2 bays and blind
fenestration to rear. Basement area to S fronts sunken court
and former entrances to rear basement service area of earlier Invermoriston House. Ground floor and basement defined by
polished ashlar band course. Entrances in E and W gables of
ground floor, masked by later timber porches. Also in basement;
all ground floor windows with ashlar margins and rusticated
long and short detailing 12-pane glazing.
Ashlar quoins to all angles; paired corniced ridge stacks;
shallow piended slate roof with projecting eaves.
Sunken forecourt reached at E by flight of steps closed by
cast-iron pedestrian gate with spearhead detailing; matching
railing as guard-rails to sunken court and as balustrade to
bridge over servants' tunnel. Servants' tunnel with tooled
ashlar arch ring leads from basement area to lane at W,
passing under driveway.
Statement of Special Interest
"Barrack" are servants' quarters, and this building still so
named. Forecourt much overgrown and tunnel now blocked with
refuse. Both buildings are unusual survivals. Invermoriston
"the seat of Major Grant" by 1798. Large house of various
builds now demolished. Present house dates from 1956,
incorporating datestone of 1751 with Grant crest.