Circa 1860, asymmetrical neo-Tudor house, probably incorporating
small later 18th century dwelling. Mainly 2-storey, irregular
plan. Grey rubble with contrasting tooled sandstone dressings.
Centre entrance in asymmetrical E front square-headed
hoodmoulded doorway under crenellated parapet. Doorway flanked
to left (S) by long transomed and mullioned window rising full
height (lighting stairwell); further ground floor 4-light
transomed and mullioned window to right of entrance. Projecting
gables form outer bays, to left with tapering flue rising
through centre of gable and terminating in apex stack, the
flue decorated with mock cruciform arrow slit and flanked at
1st floor level by narrow hoodmoulded windows. To right (N)
lower 2-storey symmetrical 2-window gable with decorative
bargeboards (possibly re-fenestrated original house).
Irregular S front; 1 canted and 1 5-sided bay window in ground
floor and 2 large 1st floor and 2 large 1st floor windows, to
left under crested architrave. Long 2-storey range,
incorporating service wing and former stables, set back and
extending W, fronted in part by modern harled, single-storey
sun parlour with flat roof.
Mainly leaded or multi-pane glazing; coped end and wallhead
stacks; slate roof.
Interior; ornate interior; panelled inner hall rises through 2
floors, with neo-Jacobean staircase with silhouette balusters
leading to 1st floor landing. Panelled drawing room with
carved Adamesque chimney piece and marble hearth surround;
strapwork plaster ceiling. Neo-Tudor chimney piece in dining
room with re-used panel incorporated as overmantel. Adamesque
plaster ceilings in some 1st floor rooms. Garden walls; garden
enclosed by high coped rubble walls; pair simple square
rubble gate piers with small ball finials, flanked by short
length retaining wall linking similar terminal piers.
Further entrance at NW with octagonal ashlar piers with flat
ashlar octagonal caps linked by coped ashlar overthrow.