Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NEWHALLLB14942

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/03/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Resolis
NGR
NH 69839 65568
Coordinates
269839, 865568

Description

James Smith, Inverness, 1805, incorporating later 18th

century house.

Classical ashlar front, cherry-pointed pale and red sandstone

flanks incorporating earlier masonry. 2 storeys and basement,

5-bay front with advanced and pedimented centre bay with

entrance fronted by tetrastyle Doric portico approached by

flight of steps. Cornice ground floor windows, all front

fenestration with moulded surrounds and linked by string

courses. 12-pane glazing. Bracketted cornice; rusticated

angle quoins. Piended slate roof with centre chimney stacks.

INTERIOR: entrance hall with columned screen leading to

stairwell; 1805 drawing room with decorative plaster ceiling

cornice and marble chimney-piece. Morning room and dining

room all with 1805 decoration, in dining room covered with

later graining.

Good later 18th century rear staircases probably main stair

of earlier house.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for Donald Mackenzie of Newhall incorporating later

18th century house of which is a vignette drawing. There was

yet another earlier Newhall sited by the present entrance

gates.

In the garden there is a facetted sundial probably circa

1700 and 3 carved Italian well-heads said to be of 16th

century date.

References

Bibliography

Sir George Stewart Mackenzie, GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE

OF THE COUNTY OF ROSS AND CROMARTY. (1810) 72, NEW

STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv 47.

Further information by courtesy of the present owners.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWHALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:33