Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

STENTON, THE WYND, WOODLEA WITH GARDEN WALLSLB14815

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Stenton
NGR
NT 62068 74278
Coordinates
362068, 674278

Description

Dated 1692, 2-storey and attic house, with single storey

row of 3 later 18th century former cottages at right

angles to SW, and early 19th century garden buildings to

SE. Red sandstone rubble with harl-pointing and variety of

of ashlar dressings, some stugged, some with chamfered arrises.

SE ELEVATION: originally 3 widely spaced bays; door at

centre with lintel incised 1692, and cement rendered later

window flanking to left, pair of windows to right; small

1st floor window at centre, flanked by narrow, taller

windows.

NW ELEVATION: 3-bay, grouped closely at centre, with

window to each floor, 3 of which are blocked, 1 altered to

timber mullioned bipartite, further ground floor narrow

window to outer right. Cottage row and outbuildings

adjoined to and extending beyond outer bays.

SW ELEVATION: windows to each floor in gable, with attic

window blocked.

NE ELEVATION: harled lean-to modern addition at ground,

small 1st floor and attic windows to outer right. 4-pane

glazing pattern predominating, 2 with 12-pane, in sash and

case windows. Crowstepped gables; Ballachulish

slates. Coped gable end stugged ashlar stacks with

thackstanes to house. Cottage row and outbuildings

adjoined to and extending beyond outer bays.

COTTAGES: 3, 3-bay, single storey cottages, with

irregular roof heights and pitches; door at centre

cottage blocked as window and flanked by windows; porch

addition to door of left cottage; outer left bay of right

cottage enlarged as door with windows in remaining bays.

Timber garden shed added to rear of cottage by house.

Steep roofs, coped stacks with thackstanes, pantiled.

OUTBUILDINGS: gabled single storey building (former

stable?), with fanlit doorway flanked by windows, and

with smaller window inserted later; piend-roofed garage

adjoined to S with blank rear and rounded angle to E.

GARDEN WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls to garden

enclosed to E and N of house from later 18th century.

Statement of Special Interest

The early date and relatively unaltered form of Woodlea

secures its place of importance in the village. It apparently

served as the home of the Biel House joiner; one of the

single storey cottages appears (from the 1853 OS map)

to have been the first post office in the village. Formerly

known as The Joiner's House.

References

Bibliography

Biel estate plans, copies at NMRS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STENTON, THE WYND, WOODLEA WITH GARDEN WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 17:44