Possibly William Lambie Moffat, dated 1878. Single storey
school of near T-plan with porches, sited on island
incline at fork in road. Sandstone rubble with stugged
dressings; base course and chamfered arrises; stone
mullions and transoms; cusping to round-arch windows.
N ELEVATION: advanced gabled jamb at centre with
tripartite window with relieving-arch above; clock set in
circular panel at apex. Single window to each return.
3-bay porches set in re-entrant angles flanking, each
with slightly advanced gabled entrance with fanlit
doorway with shouldered lintel, flanked by paired
windows each side. Carved ribbon above each doorway,
inscribed "Boys" to right, "Girls" to left; "1878" and
"AD" set in shields above respective ribbons. Flight of
stone steps by boys entrance. Gabled corbelled bellcote
adjoined to ridge stack at centre of N jamb.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: each with tripartite window in main
gable detailed as above, with gable end stacks.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay. Slightly advanced, wide, gabled bay
at centre with tripartite window, detailed as above, and
stacks; decorative skewputts; apex finials. Grey
slates. Ridge ventilator.
OUTBUILDING: piend-roofed row of sheds to S of school,
against retaining wall. Sandstone rubble with cast-iron
columns. 3 bays each side of small piend-roofed
projection at centre, with doorway on E return.
RETAINING WALLS: rubble coped rubble retaining walls to
school playgrounds, on falling ground, with concrete (?)
repairs and wrought-iron railings to NW, and ashlar
coping to low walls to N.