Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PRESSMENNAN FARM STEADING AND STALKLB14802

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Stenton
NGR
NT 62918 73451
Coordinates
362918, 673451

Description

Earlier to mid 19th century with later 19th century

additions. Quadrangular traditional farm steading sited

on ground falling toward Pressmennan Lake, with power

house and stalk adjoined to SW corner. Red sandstone

rubble with droved ashlar dressings.

E RANGE: segmental carriage pend in raised bay at

centre, with spurs and piended roof. 4-bay cartshed

flanking to right with cast-iron columns; 4th bay to right

with 2-leaf doors; taller (apparently raised) corner

bay to outer right with later machinery doors, and blank

return to N range. 4 doors to left of centre, grouped 1-1-2.

N RANGE: taller slate roofed barn and hayloft/granary at

NE, later 19th century, with sliding machinery doors to

barn, 3 granary windows above and 1 hayloft door with

swept dormerhead, flanked to outer right by still taller

bay with door, and hayloft door above with piended

dormerhead.

POWER HOUSE AND STALK: pantiled piended roof power

house at right angles to W range with 2-leaf door to W

and circular section red brick stalk in re-entrant angle to

right, set on tall sandstone base; neck band and moulded

cornice to stalk.

W RANGE: section demolished to right of stalk.

INTERIOR: cattle courts swept away circa 1985; courtyard

now covered-over.

Red pantiled retained on principal ranges and to power

house, with semi-circular ridge tiles; grey slates to

some later sections.

Statement of Special Interest

Pressmennan Wood covers the hillside looming up behind the

steading to the south, across the Lake. The steading

constitutes an austere, traditional example of

post-improvement farm building. The Adair map indicates

that some property stood on the site in the mid 18th

century, known as Presminnen. The William Forrest survey of

1977 shows the land to have belonged to William Hamilton

Nisbet of Biel and Dirleton.

References

Bibliography

Adair, map of Haddingtonshire, 1736. Forrest, survey

1799, RHP 38149.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRESSMENNAN FARM STEADING AND STALK

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 20:28