Later 16th century tower and 1772 Sydserff aisle of
former Parish Church, sited within graveyard of present
church (listed separately).
TOWER AND GATEWAY: 3-stage saddle-back rectangular-plan
tower, sited at SW corner of remaining low walls of
rectangular church. Roughly squared red sandstone rubble,
with regularly squared dressings. Formerly used as dovecot.
1st stage with low doorway in S elevation; blocked
arrow-slits in 2nd stage to S and N elevations. 3rd stage
recessed above set-offs, with crowstepped, gabled wallheads
to E and W, and blocked round-arched windows below
eaves level on each side. Evidence of former church gable
line on E elevation. Grey slates. Gateway to E of tower,
segmentally arched and roll-moulded arch within. Window
flanking to left.
SYDSERFF AISLE: small rectangular, single storey aisle,
originally adjoining to N wall of church, S gable and
projecting, narrower gabled addition to W, probably
William Burn, circa 1829. Coursed, stugged pink
sandstone with ashlar dressings; slab slate roofing.
Hoodmoulded pointed-arch doorway on S gabled elevation,
with corner buttresses, parapet to skew and sydserff
armorial above door. Original E elevation with small
rectangular opening (leper window, or for ventilation?),
and very small circular opening in N gable, with wreath
Statement of Special Interest
Scheduled Monument. The use of a surviving church tower
as a dovecot became quite common, it occurred for example,
nearby in the Friar's Croft, Dunbar, listed separately.
The parish church moved from Pitcox in 1561, and the Old
Parish Church presumably dated from this period. Permission
was granted in 1772 for John Sydserff of Ruchlaw to build
an aisle to N of existing fabric.