Circa 1840. 2-storey, T-plan farmhouse comprised of
piend-roofed N-S wing and gabled E-W wing. Roughly
squared red sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, some
N-S WING: 3-bay, symmetrical elevation to W; rectangular
porch projecting at centre with blocking course,
door on N return and narrow window to W; 1st floor window
above porch blind, regular windows in flanking bays to
each floor. Blank N and S elevations. Purple slates to
piend roof; wallhead stacks.
E-W WING: adjoined to N-S wing on E, 3-bay, asymmetrical
elevation to S, with later harled piend-roofed porch added
at centre; regular window above and to both floor in bay to
right; 2 square windows to left bay. Grey-green slates;
gable end stack to E.
RETAINING WALLS: rubble coped rubble walls dividing house
from steading sited to SW.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.
Statement of Special Interest
E-W wing in gabled form should by rights have a slightly
earlier date than the piend roofed N-S wing, as existing
farmhouses were often extended in such a manner, however,
the similarity in details and overall masonry form of the
wings suggests they were built simultaneously, or with only
a short time intervening. The steading, not included in
current listings, was one of several in East Lothian which
incorporated the earlier farmhouse.