Circa 1840. Single storey, U-plan cottage, formed from 3,
3-bay cottages. Symmetrical. Stugged pink sandstone,
squared and snecked with droved dressings; base and
eaves courses; chamfered reveals to main openings.
Each cottage with doorway at centre flanked by timber
mullioned bipartite windows, on external elevations of
U-plan, with court to E. Gable end walls to N and
S, cottages at W, slightly advanced from linking cottage
at centre, and with stone bracketted canopies, arrow-slits
at apex and ball and obelisk finials. 2 later flat-roofed
extensions to E gabled ends of N and S cottages,
sympathetic stone to outer elevations, harled to rear.
Horizontal-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows;
chamfered coping to ridge stacks. Grey slates. Gablet
coping to parapet skews and skewputts.
Statement of Special Interest
Sited to W of Biel Mill itself, formerly for mill workers.
Design is similar to that used in Tyninghame and Dirleton
Village in the same period, and at the mill cottage and the
West Lodge to Biel House.