Frederick Thomas Pilkington, 1860, made considerable alterations
and additions including refronting in sturdy Romanesque style,
to late 18th century farmhouse. 2-storey asymmetrical. Stugged
ashlar to S and W elevations with bull-faced, originally
detailed dressings; squared and snecked rubble of earlier house remaining at rear and to E, with ashlar margins.
Battered base course.
S ELEVATION: Pilkington addition to left. Advanced gable with
canted window at ground with shouldered jambs and quasi-column
stone mullions with foliate capitals. 1st floor bipartite with
slender column mullion with capital as above. Squat sturdy column bearing piend-roofed porch set in re-entrant angle, with foliate
capital and pointed archways to S and E. 3 recessed bays; 1st
floor bipartite at right, with cill cut to accommodate porch and
column mullion as above. 2 bays to right, of former house with
mannered jambs. 3 1st floor windows to right raised by
Pilkington, breaking eaves in swept, continuous shallow
dormerhead. Original door at centre blocked as windows. Slightly recessed lean-to out-building to outer right, given piended
end at S.
W ELEVATION: advanced chamfered gabled bay to left with
raised panel at centre, to full width under eaves level;
column mullion bipartite at ground with capital and lugged
lights to 1st floor bipartite. Re-entrant angle filled at
ground with small piend roofed extension with narrow windows
to W and on S return. 1st floor window above breaking eaves in half-piended gabled dormerhead. Advanced stack to blank right
bays, battered above eaves with coping and blind arcade.
Blank gable of original house of E, with lean-to out-building;
door on N return with DAIRY, painted on lintel; return (rear)
elevation with stair window of earlier house, and shallow
lean-to porch at ground. Pilkington addition slightly advanced
to outer and out-building adjoined at ground. Large paned
astragalled sash and case windows at ground, smaller at 1st.
Grey slates. Coped stone gable end stacks, 1 at ridge. Zig-zag chamfering to arrises of kingposts in gable heads, giving
shaved barley sugar effect; scalloped barge-boarding most
elaborate to outer right single storey outbuilding at S.
INTERIOR: stained pine woodwork of 1860, barley sugar balustrade
to dog leg stair and acorn finials; scalloped chamfering to door surrounds and panelled doors. Some decorative plasterwork.
Winding stone stair with cast-iron balustrade, retained from
Boundary walls; rubble boundary walls and gatepiers.
Statement of Special Interest
Similar Romanesque style used by Pilkington in his Barclay
Bruntsfield Church, Edinburgh, in the South United Free Church, Penicuik, and in many other designs. 1860 commission from
Andrew Stevenson, with James Hannan and Thomas Henderson as
mason and wright, a team which also operated at Tyninghame.
Such aggrandisement of an estate farmhouse, commissioned by
its tenant was most unusual. Steading to E, re-fronted and
given clock tower in 1955, not included in current listing.
'Dairy' was often painted over windows when the room behind
fulfilled this function, because it was then exempt from window