David Bryce, 1835. 2-storey, Jacobean mansion, with service
block adjoined to E. Cullalo sandstone ashlar masonry, combined
with Bourhouse red sandstone in stable court and at rear. Base
and string courses. Stone mullions; architraves, lugged and with nailhead centrepieces.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 irregular bays. 5-sided canted bay at
centre with scrolled, gabled dormerhead windows at 1st floor,
and pyramidal roof behind. Gabled bay, recessed to right with
advanced and stepped stack and armorial panel. Single storey
porch in re-entrant angle, tripartite window to left and
open porch to right, latter with rounded angles to lintelled
wide openings; large studded panelled door; pierced strapwork
parapet above with gabled armorial.
W ELEVATON: 3-bay, linked to porch at outer left. Slightly
advanced gabled bay to left, with canted window at ground,
parapetted as above. Centre and right bay joined at ground
by wider canted window, detailed as left bay, but with
tripartite centre window and 2 1st floor windows with gabled dormerheads.
S ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled outer bay to left,
with rectangular, full-height projection and mirrored
strapworked parapet; bays to centre and right, with gabled
E ELEVATION: red sandstone gabled service wing advanced to right,
with lower eaves;
INTERIOR: decoratively tiled vestibule. Fine Jacobean
plasterwork ceilings, with some gilding. Louis XV marble
chimneypieces. Decorative wrought-iron balustrade to stair
in main stairwell, with stone flagged floor. Winding stone
STABLES: U-plan. Single storey side ranges with blind windows;
gabled haylofts above main range with segmental carriage
arches. Boarded stalls with shaped timber divisions and cast-iron
ball finialled columns. Court closed by curtain wall with
obelisk finialled gatepiers.
Multi-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Large grey
slates; tall diamond stacks, in pairs and groups, on pedestals
and with moulded coping. Gablet skews with finials.
TERRACE WALLS: Cullalo ashlar terrace walls, with gablet
coping and recessed panels; seats set in W wall. Gate and
wellhead: decorative wrought-iron gates; heptagonal stone
wellhead with saltire panel and decorative wrought-iron overthrow
added in 1927.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble boundary walls.
Statement of Special Interest
Commissioned by Major General Carfrae of the East India
Company, at a time when Bryce was still in William Burn's office,
and an early commission for the younger architect. Built on
site of former house. Bryce's perspective drawing of house
in ownership Richard Emerson. Former Home Farm sites at SW.
Lodges (one named The Standards) and Dovecot, listed separately.
Walled garden with summer-house and lean-to sheds, not included
in current listing.
Change of Category B to A 17.5.89.