Dated 1712 (?). Heptagonal, classical summer house, of
outstanding quality, set on high ground to W of former house
and SW of lake. Ashlar; base course, rusticated walls, and
ornate entablature. Each face with depressed arch doorway
with cavetto surround and ornamented keystone; fluted
pilasters flanking. Triglyps and metopes carved with variety
of classical motifs; fleur-de-lys, winged cherub, and floral
details, for example.
Small-pane glazing pattern to doors and fanlights. Lead
flashings to ogeed roof with large, lead ball finial.
INTERIOR: geometric stone flagging to floor; plastered dome
Statement of Special Interest
Architect unknown, but fine form echoes work of James Smith
and Alexander McGill, who may possibly have been the authors.
Sited to N of former "French Camp" of 1548-9, established by
the English. The INVENTORY gives the figure on the datestone as
1718; this figure is much-weathered but appeared to the fieldworker to be 1712. Concealed in the woodland, the gazebo is hard to find and difficult to photograph. It appeared to be 7-sided rather than 6-sided as previously described.