16th century aisle adjoined to church built in 1701, built on
part foundations of circa 14th century church. Medieval aisle
in coursed red sandstone rectangular blocks; main church
harled and with ashlar margins.
HEPBURN AISLE: gabled aisle at E end, with low, broad doorway
to S in blocked roll-moulded surround; boarded door with iron
fittings. Hoodmoulded, reticulated traceried, 3-light pointed
arch window on E gable, flanked by heraldic panels, that to
the S, initialled TH and MS and dated 1581, both brought from
the remains of Blackcastle in mid to later 19th century.
Moulded cornice and ashlar coped skews; onion finials on
skewputts, thistle finial at apex. Stone slab roof.
S ELEVATION: 4-bay. 2 pointed arch windows, with intersecting
glazing pattern, at centre, with tall lancets to outer bays. Piend-roofed later 19th century porch added between left
windows. Former doorway with ashlar surround between right
windows, blocked. Sundial, possibly 16th century, ashlar, in
sloping form with stone gnomon, set at W end of S elevation.
N ELEVATION: central gabled jamb projects to N; tall,
pedimented doorway on E return with panelled door, fan
square, 4-pane fanlight and armorial in the pediment, and
tall lancet flanking to left. 2 tall lancets on W return.
Blank nave walls flanking.
W GABLE: incorporating at centre advanced, tower with
set-offs, doorway in raised surround at base and narrow slit
in upper stage. Later 18th century ashlar birdcage bellcote
spirelet and weathervane, set on moulded cornice of tower. Horizontal-pane glazing pattern to lancet windows. Ashlar
coped skews; cross finial to main E gable. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: restored in 1907 and in 1925-7 (when it was
re-oriented to E and chancel arch added). Plaster
unfortunately removed in nave, boarding to dado level.
Coombed timber ceiling, pointed stone barrel vault to chancel
(Hepburn Aisle). Doorway at W tower end, blocked. Segmental
heads to embrasures and segmental arch into N jamb, with
round piers attached to ingoes. Ashlar surround chamfered
arrises, to segmental chancel arch. Stained glass in chancel
lights. Commemorative panel to restoration by Richard Hunter
in memory of Sir James Miller of Manderston. Lorimeresque
furnishings, circa 1930.
WALLS AND GRAVESTONES: Rubble coped rubble graveyard walls
with simple wrought-iron gates.
Selection of fine 17th and 18th century gravestones,
much-weathered, including 2 to Broadwood family (piano makers
WATCH HOUSE: 1824. Small, single chamber watch house, set in
S boundary wall. Droved ashlar with raised base course and
eaves course. Doorway at the E end. Pedimented gables to E
and W, with weathered plaque in E pediment. Pointed arch
window to N at centre with intersecting glazing pattern.
Ashlar coped skews and grey slates; stack by W gable. Simple chimneypiece inside at W end.
Statement of Special Interest
1907 restoration may have been effected by John Kinross RSA,
who was architect to both Hunter and Miller in preceding
years, and an expert at restoration; however, the later
interior alterations obliterated any work which might have
confirmed this authorship, and no attribution is made in
church papers. The sundial form is close to that on angle
buttress at Cockburnspath Church, similary of possible 16th
century date. The bell and belfry were apparently gifted by
the family of Broadwood and Sons of London. An early
restoration was in circa 1860, when the armorials were added.