Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

Yester Chapel (Formerly St Cuthbert's Collegiate Church), Yester House, GiffordLB14695

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - 5, 40-42, 44
Date Added
05/02/1971
Last Date Amended
16/01/2017
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Yester
NGR
NT 54462 67122
Coordinates
354462, 667122

Description

15th century chapel with east window of 1635 and later refacing. Adam Brothers, 1753, Rococo Gothic west elevation. Probably remaining choir and transepts of St Cuthbert s Collegiate Church, served as Yester Parish Church until 1705.

Large blocks of coursed sandstone, 15th century base course, eaves cornice and a slab slated roof.

CHOIR:

WEST ELEVATION: Adam Brothers, 1753. Gabled entrance bay with recessed pointed-arch panel; ogival doorway, crocketted carving and finials; studded door ornate armorial above flanked by small niches; oval oculus at apex of recessed panel with ornamented surround and looped tracery. Pendant frieze to cornice and cusping to gablehead, with feathery crockets and finial. Diagonal set-off angle buttresses.

EAST ELEVATION: reticulated traceried window, 1635, with moulded surround in choir jamb; cross finial. Blank sides to north and south.

TRANSEPTS: to north and south with set-off angle buttresses, masque corbels and shaped mannered carving above cornice to the west. 3-light stone round-arched windows in recessed segmental panels to the north and south; cross finials.

INTERIOR: pointed stone vaults to each jamb, depressed arches into transepts; Tweeddale burial monuments of 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Remnants of medieval wall painting.

Statement of Special Interest

An archaeological survey of 2015 discovered and recorded remnants of rare medieval wall paintings to the interior of the south transcept of the church.

Statutory address, category of listing and listed building record revised in 2016. Previously listed as 'Yester House, St Bothan s Chapel, Formerly St Cuthbert s Collegiate Church'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 56144

Printed Sources

Addyman Archaeology (2015) Yester Chapel, Gifford East Lothian, Recording Works Report. Unpublished.

MacGibbon, D. and Ross, T. (1896) Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland. Volume 3. Edinburgh: D. Douglas. p.309-315.

The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (1924) Eighth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the county of East Lothian. Edinburgh: RCAHMS. p.143-5.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Yester Chapel (Formerly St Cuthbert's Collegiate Church), Yester House, Gifford

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/07/2019 02:00