Original design by James Smith and Alexander McGill,
1699-1728, for classical mansion with pavilions;
complicated succession of subsequent building phases.
Pavilions erected 1699-1710, main house 1710-15, with
interior work and decoration 1720-28; addition by
William Adam, circa 1729-30 of platform roof and
pedimented frontispiece, and interior decoration, circa
1734-46; Robert Adam, 1761, interior addition of saloon,
and 1788-90, new frontispiece and carriage ramp; Robert
Brown, 1830, removed W pavilion and circa 1838-39 added
new porte cochere to W, transferring entrance to side
position, and carried out a series of interior schemes of
2-storey, attic and basement mansion with 2-storey
pavilions. Channelled sandstone ashlar, unusually to
whole elevation, cill courses, channelled window
architraves and moulded cornice.
N ELEVATION: 9 bays. Double carriage ramp crossing
7 centre bays, with ashlar terraced recess at centre.
Pedimented tripartite frontispiece rising well above eaves
with giant Ionic pilasters from 1st floor; round-arched
windows to each bay of principal floor (in recessed panels
divided by paterae) and 1st floor (with balustraded
aprons); rectangular panels with swags carved above 1st
floor windows and armorial in tympanum; urn finials to
pediment. Regular windows in flanking bays.
W ELEVATION: 6-bay. Deep pedimented porte cochere
projecting from 2 bays at centre with ashlar piers, paired
to W, simple armorial carved in tympanum, and urn
finials; partially glazed to form enclosed porch. Regular
fenestration. Stone balustrade with dies before basement
S ELEVATION: 9-bay; 3 centre bays breaking eaves in
pedimented attic storey. Round-arched doorway to
principal floor at centre approached by short flight of
stone steps; tall windows flanking; regular windows in
remaining bays and round-arched window flanked by
square windows in central attic urn finials.
EAST PAVILIONS: 2-storey piend-roofed rectangular pavilion
with 3 bays to S, joined to house by flat-roofed 1 x 1
linking block, with balustrade to N. Taller, 2-bay ogival
roofed pavilion adjoined to latter at N, with oculi, small
windows under moulded cornice, ogival ridge pagoda;
finials above main roof.
Small-pane and multi-pane glazing patterns. Piend and
platform roof with swept eaves; grey slates and
scalloped lead flashings; attic windows recessed in roof
pitch on each elevation. Corniced ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: original plan form rearranged. Decoration
largely by William and Robert Adam and Robert Brown,
with late 19th century alterations. Dining Room, William
Adam, with fine Rococo chimneypiece and Ionic pilasters.
Plasterwork by Joseph Enzwer and assistants in staircase
and dining room. Saloon by William and Robert Adam,
outstading design, comprising coved and coffered ceiling
and paintings by William Delacour, circa 1761. Decorative
blue and white tiled dairy, with 2-tier marble shelves.
Brown, 1830, decorated new entrance hall and made
alterations to Garden Parlour, including new chimneypiece
and coffered ceiling.