Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

ROSEBERY HOUSE POLICIES, HOME FARMLB14630

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000020 - See notes
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Temple
NGR
NT 30258 57458
Coordinates
330258, 657458

Description

Circa 1805. Combination of single storey and 2 storey; U plan, with screen wall enclosing courtyard, Gothick home farm incorporating farmhouse, clocktower and dovecot; later 1855 court to rear. Coursed polished sandstone pavilions; coursed droved sandstone clock tower; tooled rubble remainder; broached dressings.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near symmetrical. Screen wall: gate way to centre with corniced, V jointed rusticated gatepiers, surmounted by ball finials; boarded timber 2 leaf gate swept down to centre; flanked by flat coped rubble wall; stepped up pavilion fronts to outer right and left, central rectangular opening, glazed to left, surmounted by blind circular recess and coped crenellated parapet on dentil moulded cornice. Single storey bothy adjoining pavilion to outer right with boarded timber door flanked by small window to right and window to left of right return.

COURTYARD ELEVATIONS: 2 storey clock tower incorporating dovecot to centre of NW range: symmetrical; dividing band courses; depressed arched pend, leading to rear court, flanked by 2 round arched doorways with boarded timber doors and impost detail to ground floor; tripartite, triangular headed blind arcade with flight holes to centre of 1st floor, flanked by 2 triangular headed windows; pointed arched blind opening to base of square plan tower, flanked by crenellated parapet; central clock with gilded numerals to each face of tower; octagonal spire rising to ball finial and weather vane, with pairs of oval occuli to each face alternately open and blind. Later 19th century farmhouse bays to left of clock tower; regular fenestration to 3 ground floor bays, gabled dormers with chamfered reveals breaking eaves to centre and right bays of 1st floor; doorway with chamfered reveal, panelled timber door and letterbox fanlight to re entrant angle to left, gabled window breaking eaves above. Large sliding boarded timber door flanked to left by window and to right by blind opening in bays to right of clock tower. SW Range: rebuilt in mid 20th century; asymmetrical, 6 bay; large window to 3rd bay from left, flanked by boarded timber door to right; boarded timber door to penultimate bay to right, flanked to left by vertical slit opening and right by 8 pane window; doorway to farmhouse to outer right (see above); boarded timber door to penultimate bay to left; window to 1st floor above and bay to outer left; ground floor of bay to outer left obscured by adjoining cartshed (see below). NE Range: asymmetrical, 5 bays; 2 leaf, boarded timber doors with stugged lintels to 3 bays to left; boarded timber sliding doors to 2 bays to right. SE Range: symmetrical, to rear of screen wall; 2 3 bay blocks of lean to cart sheds; segmental arched opening with chamfered reveal to each bay.

NE ELEVATION: asymmetrical; corrugated shed to centre; blank gabled bay to outer right; bothy recessed to bay to left (see above).

NW ELEVATION: including rear court. Depressed arch of pend to centre, with window off centre to right of 1st floor above; single storey block to right with boarded timber sliding door; coped rubble wall advanced to outer left corner linking to brick stable block; rear of farmhouse to bays to right, ground floor obscured by whitewashed, flat roofed block; gabled bay to centre of 1st floor flanked by 2 dormer windows breaking eaves; 20th century byre advanced to outer right. 2 polished gatepiers to NW flanked by rubble stable blocks, enclosing courtyard, with 20th century brick byre additions.

SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3 bay rear of farmhouse to centre; regular fenestration to each bay of ground floor; gabled dormer windows breaking eaves to left and right bays of 1st floor; byre adjoining to left; twin gabled byre advanced to outer left; byres adjoining to bays to right; corrugated iron lean to addition advanced to outer right.

Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Grey and purple grey slate roofs, piended to farmhouse and clock tower, with lead ridges. Coped, shouldered wallhead and gablehead stacks to farmhouse, gablehead stack to bothy, all with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998

BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble walled garden with semicircular coping to rear of farmhouse; rubble wall with rubble coping flanking screen wall to left.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with House, Gatepiers, Chapel and Lodge (see separate listings). The Gothick style of Rosebery Home Farm was influenced by the architecture of the early 18th century. Its position, framed by Rosebery Gate-way (see separate listing) suggests that it was designed to be seen from Rosebery House (see separate listing). The flamboyance of the building, especially the spire of the dovecot, was undoubtedly intended to be a social status symbol.

References

Bibliography

THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1, (1845), p51; 1st (1852) and 2nd (1892) Edition OS Maps; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, (1885), Vol 6, p257; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p408; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p102; NMRS Various Photographs; ROSEBERY STEADING, MIDLOTHIAN, EXTRACT FROM EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY STUDENT SURVEY, (NMRS).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSEBERY HOUSE POLICIES, HOME FARM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 03:56