Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ROSEBERY HOUSE POLICIES, LODGELB14628

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See notes
Date Added
22/01/1971
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Temple
NGR
NT 30371 57513
Coordinates
330371, 657513

Description

Earlier 18th century; re modelled early 20th century. Single storey, single bay, square plan Renaissance lodge. Random rubble with polished sandstone dressings. Base course; eaves cornice; long and short Gibbsian quoins.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; architraved doorway to centre with timber door; window centred above.

SE ELEVATION: symmetrical; central tripartite window with Ionic pilasters supporting corniced hoodmould set in slight recess with Gibbsian surround.

NE ELEVATION: blank.

NW ELEVATION: single window to centre with decorative ironwork grill surmounted by tooled panel, bearing cartouche flanked by scrolls.

12 pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof with lead ridges and decorative ironwork finial. Shouldered, corniced wallhead stack to NE.

INTERIOR: squared and snecked polished sandstone ashlar; base course; fine sandstone fireplace to NE; boarded timber ceiling.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with House, Gatepiers, Home Farm and Chapel (see separate listings). The estate of Rosebery was originally part of the old Clerkington Parish. In the 17th century it formed a barony named Nicolson, being in the possession of a Sir John Nicolson. Sir Archibald Primrose of Dalmeny, in Linlithgowshire, bought the estate in 1695 and obtained a charter allowing the old barony of Nicolson and any nearby lands to be known as Rosebery. He took this as his title when he was created a Viscount in 1700 (and Earl in 1703). The existing house is built on the site of the 17th century Clerkington House, to which the lodge originally belonged. Laurie's map of 1766 shows the lodge as one of a pair, suggesting it was part of an ambitious building scheme which was never fully executed. Mr Hepburne, who bought the estate in 1749, demolished the house between 1805-1812. Hepburne restored the original name of Clerkington to the estate (it was not until 1821, when Archibald John, fourth Earl of Rosebery bought the estate that the family name was used again). The lodge was used as a library in the 19th century. In the early 20th century the lodge was remodelled incorporating the doorway from old Rosebery House, a new decorative iron grille to the N window and a new fine ashlar interior.

References

Bibliography

J Laurie, A PLAN OF EDINBURGH AND PLACES ADJACENT, (1766); 1st (1852) and 2nd (1892) Edition OS Maps; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, (1929), p278; C McWilliam, THE BUILDINGS OF LOTHIAN, EXCEPT EDINBURGH, (1978), p407; J Thomas, MIDLOTHIAN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (RIAS), (1995), p102, ill p103; NMRS Various Photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROSEBERY HOUSE POLICIES, LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:33