Thomas Hannan, circa 1840, incorporating earlier
cottages. Group of 5 single storey 3-bay cottages
arranged in U-plan, mirrored about centre. Squared and
snecked pink rubble with stugged ashlar dressings.
STREET ELEVATION: detached cottage at centre (No 3) with
pilastered doorpiece bearing weathered inscription
"Rebuilt 1840" and with gable head breaking eaves above;
ashlar skews. Bipartites flanking. 2 cottages to either
side arranged in semi-detached L-plans. Stone
bracketted slab canopies to doorways; flanking
bipartites. Additional window inserted in re-entrant
angle of No 1.
REAR ELEVATIONS: irregular openings, some altered with
SIDE ELEVATIONS: similarly irregular openings.
4-pane glazing pattern with timber mullions to
bipartites. Raised skews; ashlar stacks with
Statement of Special Interest
Poorhouses existed at Tyninghame pre 1745 and the circa
1840 work improved their form for inclusion in the
estate village. Eaves line follows falling ground
notably at Nos 2 and 4.
B Group with Items 15-17, 28-36, 39.