Mid 18th century, 2-storey, 3-bay mill house, extended with
lean-to outbuildings James Hannan and Adam Dickson, 1854.
Harled with painted ashlar margins.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical, 3-bay. Small fanlight
to boarded door with additional windows to outbuilding at
E ELEVATION: 3-bay. Former stair window at centre partly
obscured by lean-to projecting later stair block.
N GABLE: lean-to outbuildings. Raised chimney breast at
centre to main gable, stopping at eaves level. Small attic
light in gable head.
S GABLE: blank with small attic light.
12-pane glazing pattern, with some small and 4-pane glazing,
to sash and case windows. Raised skews. Gable wallhead
stacks, harled, original to S gable with thack stanes.
Pantiles. Corrugated asbestos roof to lean-to additions.
Statement of Special Interest
Knowes Mill lies to W, in poor condition, with timber
water wheel still in position. Later timber stores to
SW. The mill possibly preceded Tyninghame Sawmill
(listed separately) as the Estate Timber Mill.
The mill is historically important as the site where Andrew Meikle patented the first threshing machine in 1776. See listing for Houston Mill, Prestonkirk. Later timber stores to SW.