Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NEWBATTLE ABBEY POLICIES, NEWBATTLE ROAD, MONKLAND WALLLB14566

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
22/01/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
24/03/2000
Local Authority
Midlothian
Planning Authority
Midlothian
Parish
Newbattle
NGR
NT 33114 65839
Coordinates
333114, 665839

Description

From 12th century. Boundary wall built to surround Newbattle Abbey precincts. Remains of original medieval wall runs from North Port Lodge northwards to first bend in road S of Archbishop Leighton's House (NT 3310 6592 - NT 3319 6614). Tall sandstone random rubble wall; rendered, consolidated and rebuilt in places. Northern part reaches 10-15 feet in height with rough stone coping; reworked areas further S with repaired or damaged coping. Low stone doorway leads to earlier church (now the site of Lothian Burial Ground) and later door positioned opposite present church with raised long and short surrounds. Wall, possibly Monkland Wall, reworked and reduced in size continues in places S from South Port Lodge to NE of Riverside Cottages.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Newbattle Abbey, Newbattle Abbey Policies Fernery, Grotto and Ice House, Lothian Burial Ground, Maiden Bridge, North and South Sundials, Port Lodge, Newbattle Road and Abbey Road Wall and Gatepiers, Lamb's Nursery, Archbishop Leighton's House, 1-5 Riverside Cottages, Old Bridge, Newmills Road, Dalkeith Lodge in Dalkeith Burgh and The King's Gate in Cockpen Parish. Newbattle Abbey was a Cistercian Abbey founded in 1140 by David I as the daughter house of Melrose Abbey. The Monkland Wall probably dates from the earliest enclosure of the precints in the 12th century. The Monkland Wall as depicted on 2nd Edition OS Map runs S from South Port Lodge and NE of Riverside Cottages where there are some remains of a wall covered in vegetation, possibly the Monkland Wall.

References

Bibliography

J Adair, A Map of Mid-Lothian, 1735; THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, 1794, Vol 10, p216; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, 1839, Vol 1; 1st Edition OS Map, 1854; 2nd Edition OS Map, 1907; RCAHMS, INVENTORY FOR MIDLOTHIAN AND WEST LOTHIAN, 1929, Inv No 190, p148.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWBATTLE ABBEY POLICIES, NEWBATTLE ROAD, MONKLAND WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:52