Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NS 23853 95035
223853, 695035


William Burn, 1838, enlarged by David Bryce 1846 and 1847. 2 storey, rambling-plan, asymmetrical gabled villa. Rubble with polished sandstone dressings and margins. Base course; quoin strips; projecting eaves, exposed rafters; varying roof levels. Gabled dormerheads.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 6 asymmetrical bays. 3-bay main block to left with lower rambling-plan service wing to right. Advanced, full-height canted bay, cavetto swept to gable, to outer left; narrow recessed bay and slightly advanced gabled bay to right; broad gabled porch at ground slightly off-centre to left with window above at 1st floor. 2-leaf, half-glazed door with large, rectangular, plate glass fanlight; window at right and left returns. Massy, Baroque, sandstone doorpiece to vestibule, swan-neck pediment with decorative escutcheon with shell motif supported on heavy consoles. Windows symmetrically disposed

in narrow bay, dormerheaded window above. Lower, L-plan service wing to right. 2-bay recessed block to right of entrance bay, narrow bay to left; boarded door with letter-box fanlight to right, dormerheaded window above. Advanced gabled bay to right; circular tower corbelled to square and gabled at 1st floor set in re-entrant angle; window with fire-proof glass at ground to right, narrow window under eaves and single window at gablehead. Blank wall of gabled bay to right. Broad gable with windows symmetrically disposed; lower, narrower, slightly-

recessed bay to outer right, tall window at ground with dormerheaded window above.

W ELEVATION: 5 symmetrical bays. Gently bowed block at centre, 3 windows symmetrically disposed. Flanking, advanced, full-height canted bays, cavetto swept to gable. Projecting, square bay at centre ground of left return, tripartite window, flue of wallhead stack rises above; gabled dormerheaded window to left. 3 bays of N wing recessed to left. Broad gable to outer left, bipartite window at ground, single window at 1st floor. 2 bays to right with gabled dormerheaded windows, bay to right narrower.

S ELEVATION: 3 asymmetrical bays. Square bay at ground outer left, tripartite window; flue and wallhead stack above. Gabled dormerheaded window to right with broad gable to outer right. Modern, rendered flat-roofed extension projecting at outer right. Raggle of gable of former conservatory to outer right; remains of plinth and Minton tiles.

N ELEVATION: cement-rendered gabled elevation, formerly joined to service wing, now truncated. Modern forestair to outer left; asymmetrical M-gable to outer right, door at ground, window above.

6-pane and 4-pane sash and case windows; some replacement plate glass sash and case. Grey slate roof with lead flashings; Many tall corniced stacks on pedestal bases at wallhead and ridge.

INTERIOR: plain egg and dart and anthemion cornices; rectangular, pitched skylight over hallway. Plain staircase. Rooms sub-divided for modern offices.

OUTBUILDINGS: single storey block to NE opposite house and originally joined to main house. Rubble with stugged, sandstone margins and dressings. 3 bays to W elevation, door off-centre to right, window to right, segmental archway blocked as window to outer left; modern brick on right return.

Statement of Special Interest

Ardarroch was built for John McVicar, a Glasgow merchant and possibly a relative of Burn. In 1846 Bryce carried out alterations and additions and in 1847 designed the conservatory (now demolished). The house originally has a wing at the N end joining with the single storey outbuilding to the NE. The house is now the office of BP Oil Ltd Finnart Ocean Terminal. Ardarroch E lodge is listed separately. Finnart House, to the E across the road from Ardarroch, also had Burn and Bryce as architects and is of similar design. Finnart House is listed separately.



F A Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY (1992) p117. OS 2nd edition map, 1899. NMRS DBD/6/1-19, copies of drawings in possession of BP Oil Ltd, Finnart Ocean Terminal. V Fiddes & A Rowan MR DAVID BRYCE, catalogue of exhibition.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to FINNART, ARROCHAR ROAD, ARDARROCH HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 01:58