There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/04/1971
- Local Authority: South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: South Ayrshire
- Parish: Tarbolton
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 43024 27172
- Coordinates: 243024, 627172
Robert Johnston, 1821. 5-bay, 2-storey, near rectangular-plan classical church with dominant steeple. Base course; eaves course; cornice; pilaster quoins; dies rising through roofline above. Base course; eaves course; cornice; shallow blocking course. Square-plan tower; moulding to base; eaves course, cornice and blocking course to pilaster stripped 1st stage; scrolls at base of pilaster strips at 2nd stage, roundels at apex.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to advanced 3-bay central entrance. 3 square-headed entrances; larger central entrance with block-pedimented consoled cornice; 2-leaf timber doors to all; decorative letterbox fanlight to central entrance;
small-paned letterbox fanlight to flanking entrances. String course to 1st floor; Venetian window flanked by single windows. Single window at 1st stage of square-plan tower above; clock face to 2nd stage; polygonal-plan louvred belfry to base of spire; weather finial at apex. Single windows at ground and 1st floor to recessed flanking bays; consoled cornices to ground floor openings; pedimented 1st floor openings.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 2 large arched windows to centre. Off-centred small window flanked by 2 larger single windows to lean-to section (section to right, slightly recessed).
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: tower to right rising above 1st floor as for NE elevation (1st stage arch blind).
4 segmental arched windows at ground floor (window to right, infilled); 4 round-arched windows at 1st floor; timber door to recessed lean-to to outer left.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: tower to left rising above 1st floor as for NE elevation (1st stage arch blind). 4 segmentalarched windows at ground floor (window to left, infilled); 4 round-arched windows at 1st floor; lean-to to outer right.
Stained glass and small-paned timber sash and case windows. Slate roof.
INTERIOR: tiled entrance porch floor; rope rail to left gallery staircase; timber handrail to right. Curved upper timber galleries include unusual rustic arm-rests; modillion cornice to ceiling. Timber box pews; panelling to galleries, supported by timber columns; central timber pulpit and altar furniture; timber pedimented screen to organ behind.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The Tarbolton Heritors Minute Book, 1819-1823 (SRO) shows discussions (21/2/1820) on, " [...] the best situation for the new Church." The New Statistical Account comments that the church was completed to the cost of ?2500 and contains 950 sittings. The architect Robert Johnston of Kilmarnock is also noted by Colvin as executing the manse at Irvine in Ayrshire (1820). A finely detailed classical parish church, particularly notable for its 90 foot spire, with its finely detailed pilasters and polygonal belfry. Notable interior features include the timber box pews and the rustic arm-rests. See separate list description for graveyard, gatepiers, gates, railings and boundary wall.
Andrew Armstrong's A New Map of Ayrshire, 1775 (earlier church evident); SRO, HR 718/2; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1845), p761; FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol VI, (1892), p428; George Hay ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES, p 135, p175, p250; Howard Colvin A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS 1600-1840 (1995, 3rd Edition), p553; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p144.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.