There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 14/04/1971
- Supplementary Information Updated: 20/07/2006
- Local Authority: South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: South Ayrshire
- Parish: Maybole
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 32246 17377
- Coordinates: 232246, 617377
16th (possibly 15th) century tower house sited on rocky outcrop. Old part of tower from 2 periods, originally square with later addition forming rectangle. Further 17th century additions were demolished for construction of ornate Baronial extension by David Cousins, circa 1850. Further wing in plainer Baronial style was added by James Miller, 1907-08. Harled tower, later additions in sandstone ashlar. String courses. Pedimented dormers, crowstepped gables, balconies and pepper-pot tourelles.
S ELEVATION: 4-storey 3-bay tower to right with machicolated parapet, extended to 4th bay to left with bipartite windows and pedimented dormer. 3-storey mid-19th century baronial wing to left with advanced crow-step gabled entrance bay above architraved doorpiece forming principal elevation; single and bi-partite multi-paned window to each floor. 3-storey early 20th century wing to left, crow-stepped gables to end bays with ballustraded central section. Irregular fenestration.
N ELEVATION: tower house to left. Mid 19th century advanced wing to centre, rounded corner bartizan with conical roof. Central 2-bays with pedimented wallhead dormers and advanced crow-stepped gable with large heavily corbelled oriel window supported by consoled balcony and flanked by pepper-pot tourelles. 6-bay early 20th century wing to right, crow-step gabled outermost bay with canted bay window to 1st and 2nd storey.
INTERIOR: ornate mid 19th century interior scheme by Cousins in place, including barrel vaulted Drawing Room with ornate shell alcoves and marble fireplaces, an exposed masonry barrel vaulted Dining Room located in the tower house and stair and upper hall with deep decorative cornicing. Original early 20th century interior scheme to billiard room, located in the 1908 wing.
Statement of Special Interest
Newark Castle is a fine example of the development of a Scottish Castle over several centuries with historic connections to the Kennedy family who obtained the castle in the late 18th century. The castle is made up of three distinct phases of building. The original square-plan tower house was extended in the 17th century, doubling its footprint (MacGibbon and Ross, Vol 3 p 379) low lying additons were also added around this time, although these were demolished to make way for the new wing in the 19th century. At this time the tower was reconstructed by David Cousins, and he designed the highly detailed Baronial Wing, both around 1850; this work was undertaken for the Marquis of Ailsa. A further wing was added in the early 20th century by James Miller, working for the Walker family, which although plainer, is still Baronial in style. The composition of these three distinct phases is nevertheless harmonious and creates a highly distinctive building. Its setting high on a rock outcrop also makes a major contribution to the landscape.
Castle upgraded from Category B to A (20.7.2006).
1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1854-59). MacGibbon and Ross, Castellated and Domestic Architecture of Scotland (1971), Vol 3, pp378-383. R Clow, Ayrshire and Arran (1992) p157. M Davis, The Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire (1991), pp 24, 90, 341-2. DSA, www.dictionaryofscottisharchitects.org.uk.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.