Leeming and Leeming, London. Dated 1897; completed 1906. Large rectangular castellated, Tudor 2-storey mansion built around inner court. Principal fronts to east and south, the east entrance front having square off centre tower rising above roofline. North, east and south elevations encircled by continuous arcaded verandah with glazed roof masked by crenellated wallhead. All red Arran stone, bull faced squared rubble with tooled ashlar dressings. Projecting off-centre entrance porch in base of 3-storey tower in 11-bay east front; tower with substantial stair turret corbelled out at 1st floor height at SE angle, and further bartizan at NE. Segmental headed porch entrance
flanked by engaged columns with parapet above flanked by angle ball finials and approached by widely splayed flight shallow steps with low balustrade and terminal urns. Angle drum towers rise above wallhead at each corner terminating in corbelled and crenellated wallheads. 3 canted bay windows rise full height to right of entrance porch (lighting
entrance hall). Regular fenestration, the windows mullioned and transomed with plate glass glazing.
South garden front has French windows leading from drawing room to projecting terrace (formerly glazed as conservatory).
Further entrance left of terrace, leading to library, gun room and secondary stair. Centre rear (west) high round-headed entrance to inner court and service area flanked by engaged columns rising full height and terminating as turrets, and further bowed oriels corbelled out at 1st floor and rising one storey as semi-circular crenellated dormers. 6 flat roofed dormer windows at west and 3 further dormers north.
Ridge stacks with diminutive crenellated cornices; crenellated wallheads; slate roofs.
Interior: lavish and ornate Edwardian interior with original fittings and furnishings. Entrance lobby giving on to large inner hall rising through 1st floor with encircling gallery to 3 sides; all panelled
with panelled ceiling with strap work design and drop pendants. Ingle nook with ashlar chimney piece to fireplace, window seats built into canted bay windows rising full height with stained glass, neo-Jacobean carved frieze to base of balustered gallery. Principal staircase opens off to left with panelled stairwell, carved square balusters and terminal newels with urn finials.
Drawing room: white painted drawing room with panelled dados, fielded panelling to door within pedimented door case, deep inglenook framed with carved and panelled semi-circular arch with ornate decorative plaster work within spandrels and projecting bracketted cornice. 2 chimney pieces, 1 within inglenook, with Adamesque chimney pieces and original basket grates; plaster cornice and strapwork detailing to ceiling. Dining room; rich mahogany panelling with reeded pilasters
with Corinthian capitals linking dado to picture rail; panelled doors, scroll pediments to door pieces; decorative plaster ceiling. Small pantry fitted with cupboards with inlaid doors in drum tower alcove; further small "inglenook" dining area suitable for 2 or 3 persons.
Ballroom: high barrel ceilinged ballroom with white painted
panelled dado and small musicians' gallery.
Further ground floor public rooms include gun room with fitted gun cupboards, billiard room and library. Inlaid parquet flooring throughout. Principal bedrooms in south front including Lady Bullogh's bedroom with Adamesque chimney piece. One bedroom in SW fitted with Jacobean panelling and fittings said to have been taken from Wandsorth House and fitted at Kinloch circa 1906. Various bathrooms fitted with original sanitary ware; large baths with showers, all encased in mahogany panelling, each with 7 taps and contemporary decorative tiled surrounds.
Statement of Special Interest
Kinloch Castle built by Sir George Bullough grandson of James Bullough and son of John Bullough (d.1891) who made their fortune as makes of textile machinery in Lancashire (Howard and Bullough, Globe Works, Accrington, Lancs). George (later knighted) inherited at about 21 years of age, and built the present castle where he entertained lavishly, particularly before 1914. He died in 1939, and is buried on the west side of Rhum at Harris. His wife, Monica Lily, 1869-1967, retained
Kinloch Castle; there being no male heir, it passed to National Trust and then to Nature Conservan thereafter. Remarkable interior to mansion which retains all its lavish Edwardian fittings Much of the panelling by James Shoolbred and Co, London, who also supplied much of the furniture.