Circa 1830-40, with some modification 1859-61 by David
Bryce, and later 19th century additions and alterations to
rear incorporating small 18th dwelling. Early mansion at NE,
tooled ashlar with polished ashlar dressings; elsewhere
harled with ashlar dressings. Earlier 19th century front;
NE facing, symmetrical 2 storeys, 3 wide bays divided by
giant panelled pilasters; centre door masked by portico
supported by 4 (paired) Roman Doric columns approached by
shallow flight of steps; tripartite above, with narrow
side lights, tripartite to left of circa 1859-60.
Symmetrical 2 windows in ground and 1st floor of NW and SW
gables; moulded eaves cornice with blocking course between
ground and 1st floors in outer bays and gables; corniced end
stacks and piended platform slate roof.
2-storey, 2-bay central rear wing links rear block; latter
raised from single storey later 19th century with irregular
2-storey, 5-bay SW facing elevation with projecting angled
porch in extreme right bay, with studded door with decorative
hinged as at Gate Lodge; near centre door gabled bays,
canted oriel at right lighting upper sitting room (formerly
nursery), also lit by canted angle oriel at SE.
2- and 4-pane glazing throughout; corniced end and ridge
stacks; kneelers and prominent skewputts to all read gables;
Interior; some mid and later 19th century alterations of
1830-40 mansion; bow ended room at ground floor right with
late 19th century aesthetic movement panelling and chimney
piece. Circa 1830 plaster cornice with scrolled detailing and
black marble chimney piece in left ground floor sitting room
(former dining room). Remodelled mid-later 19th century
staircase with barley-sugar twist balusters. Circa 1860
cornice to 1st floor drawing room, and chimney piece and
anthemion detailing. SW portion of house re-modelled circa
1980; 1st floor sitting room (former nursery) with late 19th
century blue and white tiled chimney piece and pendant
Large rear walled courtyard entered at NW through later 19th
century pointed-headed dressed rubble archway with stepped
centre blocking course and flanking pilasters terminating in
tiered ogee pinnacles.
Long range of crowstepped single storey outbuildings,
formerly carriage house, stables and laundry with tall,
square brick and rubble chimney serving latter.
Statement of Special Interest
George Sinclair, 1st of Olrig was wadsetter; estate purchased
by his son Alexander in 1708. Bought by Smith family from
Mrs Fenella Sinclair of Olrig probably early 19th century.
James Smith of Olrig a heritor by 1840; Olrig a "mansion"
in circa 1858. Drawings dated 1859-61 from David Bryce's
office, 131 George Street, Edinburgh (set incomplete) in
possession of present owner. Proposed D Bryce additions
and alterations only executed in part. Earliest dwelling
incorporation of house. Appears in present form on 1st ed.