Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 70925 36291
370925, 636291


Late 18th century, wings added circa 1840, N and W extensions early 20th century. 2-storey, 4-bay, gabled central section with small pediment, flanked by lower symmetrical piend-roofed wings. Roughly T shaped in plan. First floor cill course to N (rear) elevation. Regular fenestration to front and rear with raised ashlar margins; slightly advanced tripartite ground floor windows to S (front) elevation of wings; bipartite windows above; Venetian ground floor windows to rear. White-painted harl/render with sandstone ashlar dressings (some now painted).

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: timber-panelled front door in pilastered architrave to right-hand bay of central block; small pediment gable over central 2 bays with small blind occulus. 2-storey, piend-roofed wing extending from centre of rear elevation with canted bay window at ground to E. Later extensions adjoining W elevation.

Timber sash and case windows with mixture of 12-pane and plate glass glazing. Ashlar-coped skews. Wallhead and gablehead sandstone stacks with yellow cans. Welsh slate with metal flashings.

INTERIOR: Drawing room with four wooden Corinthian columns at west end, deep moulded cornice and central rose and doors with deeply moulded architraves. Hallway with flattened arch supported by double scrolled brackets. 6-panelled timber doors throughout.

Statement of Special Interest

This was the farmhouse of the Newton Don estate home farm. It may have been built after the marriage of Lady Harriet Cunningham to Alexander Don in 1778 (hence the name) but the precise date of internal alterations and symmetrical wings is hard to establish. It was clearly aggrandised for a particular purpose; it has been suggested that the drawing room was designed as a dining room and that the building was banqueting house for Newton Don. The house is now used as the Dower House for the Newton Don estate, and it has also been suggested that it was built or improved for this purpose for Lady Harriet. The symmetrical wings and elaborate main room are both unusual for a house of this relatively small size. They may have been added when the estate was sold by Sir Alexander Don to Charles Balfour of Balgonie in 1847. The house is a striking feature in the landscape.



William Crawford and William Brooke, Map Embracing Extensive Portions of the Counties of Roxburgh, Berwick Selkirk & Midlothian and Part of Northumberland (1843). K Cruft, J Dunbar and R Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006) p594.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HARRIETFIELD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2021 14:13