Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SWINTON HOUSE, DOVECOTLB13850

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/09/1998
Supplementary Information Updated
25/09/1998
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Swinton
NGR
NT 81463 46888
Coordinates
381463, 646888

Description

Dated 1746; repaired later 20th century. Circular-plan dovecot with conical roof surmounted by conical-capped, part timber, part slated drum. Harl-pointed sandstone rubble (whinstone in part); red sandstone dressings; some brick repairs. Dividing rat course/alighting ledge; moulded eaves course. Long and short surrounds to square headed entrance in E elevation (door missing); rectangular plaque above inscribed '1746'. Part-blocked, square headed opening to SW. Upper drum with arched flight holes; some projecting ledges. Grey slate roofs.

INTERIOR: 797 nesting boxes lining walls in tiers; open timber roof. Potence and ladders missing.

Statement of Special Interest

NOTES: Originally associated with Swinton House (see separate list entry). A good example of a circular-plan dovecot with the majority of its original features intact - the interior being particularly impressive. According to Niven, the nesting boxes comprise 8 tiers of 35, 8 of 34 and 7 of 35, making a total of 797. Each is 7?" wide, 7?" tall and 14" deep. The dovecot wall itself is recorded as 2ft9" thick, with an outside circumference of 61ft. In 1961, a broken potence and ladder of 11 rungs were still in place, whilst 4 flight holes were set in a board, in a window in the S side. All these have now gone, and the then roofless ruin has since been re-roofed, with new flight holes set in a part-boarded drum. See separate list entry for 'Dundas Castle, Dovecot - Dalmeny/Kirkliston Ward 3, Edinburgh' for similar structure.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident). T Buxbaum SCOTTISH DOOCOTS (1987). A Niven Robertson THE OLD DOVECOTS OF SCOTLAND (1961) pp491-492. NMRS photographic records A12174.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SWINTON HOUSE, DOVECOT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 09:00