Remodelling of earlier fabric circa 1800. 3-storey and attic with vaulted cellar, 6-bay classically-detailed, piend-and-platform roofed house with portico and low 2-storey wings projecting to rear. Harled with raised stone margins and quoin strips; rubble and stucco wings. Base and eaves courses, moulded cornice and stepped blocking course. Stone corbels and mullions.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay at ground with steps up to 4-columned portico, cavetto cornice and blocking course; deep-set 2-leaf panelled timber door with flanking pilasters, lights and outer pilasters. 2 windows to flanking bays and regular fenestration to both floors above.
SE ELEVATION: 2 wide-centre tripartites to ground and 1st floors, that to ground right with part-glazed door to centre light, and 2 single windows to 2nd floor. Lower wing to right with 5 windows to ground and 3 to 1st floor.
NW ELEVATION: dominant canted 5-light oriel window to centre on moulded corbels flanking single window with further window above; windows to outer 1st floor bays. 6 windows to ground floor, and 1 to 1st, of stuccoed lower wing projecting at outer left.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: altered elevation with variety of asymmetrically-disposed openings (some part-blocked) including 2 stair windows to right of centre; lower wings projecting at outer angles forming small courtyard (see Notes).
8-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows; lying 7- and 14-pane pattern to oriel; decorative astragals and coloured glass to stair windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers to E.
INTERIOR: stone scale and platt stair of earlier date. Plain and decorative plasterwork cornices. Hall with flagstone floor. Carved timber fireplaces; full-height and dado panelling; working shutters.
Statement of Special Interest
Inchmartine Coach House, Ice House, Lodge House and Walled Garden are listed separately. The rear courtyard faces the Coach House. The panelling in the Morning Room was brought from the Conservative Club in Perth, and the library (possibly former dressing room) fireplace is an imported example by Whytock & Reid. Inchmartine was given by William the Lion to his brother David, Earl of Huntingdon. At a later date it belonged to John de Inchmartine who became Sheriff of Perth. The first house on this site was probably built in 1643 (date on keystone now in East Pow Bridge) when land in the area started to be drained. By the mid 19th century Inchmartine was owned by James Vaughan Allen, whose wife wrote the very successful book 'The Henwife' and was adviser to Queen Victoria on hen keeping. After 1889 the house and grounds were divided, the house sold to James Adam Hunter, tea and rubber planter. Some time during the 20th century the house was divided into flats, returning to a single dwelling circa 1960. The present owner has found evidence of a painted frieze in the hall concealed under later layers of paint.