Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 53688 85487
353688, 685487


John Kinross, RSA, 1898. 2-storey Cotswold Elizabethan

style manor house now converted into flats with attic to

main house at W and single storey motor house to E.

Squared and snecked Rattlebag stone; ashlar dressings;

stone mullions and transoms; moulded margins; 1st floor

lintel course below parapet.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, with higher

roofline to main bays, lower to former service end at E,

slightly recessed. Full-height, gabled advanced doorway

bay, with decorative wrought-iron finial; round arched

porch entrance flanked by pilasters with obelisk finials,

carved shield above arch with strapworked cartouche

above, strapwork carving on pilasters and garlands to

obelisks; tripartite at 1st floor. Small, depressed

arched windows to right, stepped at 1st floor.

Elizabethan entrance hall window flanking at left, with 2

grouped bipartites above. Outer left bay gabled with

canted diminutive window bay at ground with rose garland

carving to margins, and dolphins tumbling down piend


3 bipartite windows right of centre grouped closely with

cusped lintels at ground floor. Full-height canted bay to

outer right of advanced main house, with crenellated

parapet, bipartite lights and hoodmoulded heraldic shield

above 1st floor windows. 3 closely grouped bipartites at

left of tower range, bipartite stair window with 1899

dated cartouche panel above; bipartites to right and in

1st floor gabled outer bay.

N ELEVATION: 4 gabled bays to main house, recessed at

left, advanced at outer right. 5-sided canted windows at

ground to outer right with parapet. Remaining windows

bipartite or tripartite with transom to most in ground

floor. Heraldic shields and cartouches to W bay and in

return E facing gable. Obliquely set door in re-entrant

angle to right with carved lintel. 4 bays to service end

at left, outer bay gabled with tall paired windows at

ground and bipartites above. Motor house advanced with

pentice roof and gabletted crowsteps to right.

W ELEVATION: advanced bays to left with full-height canted

bay at centre with bipartites, hoodmoulded

cartouche and crenellated parapet. Stacks to left with

off-sets. Tripartite Elizabethan hall windows to right and

on return to S. Recessed bays to right with paired

tripartites at ground, bipartites at 1st floor. Doorway by

re-entrant angle with decoratively carved 1898 dated lintel

and depressed arch bipartites above.

Square lead-paned glazing to casement windows with some

plate glass below transoms. Decorative bronze door

handles. Decorative square lead guttering and gutter

heads. Westmoreland slates. Moulded coping to stacks

with original cans retained.

INTERIOR: outstanding and well-respected on subdivision

into 5 flats. Carved woodwork and panelling. Scott

Morton and Company, Edinburgh. Fine chimneypieces

with marble surrounds, decorative cast-iron grates.

Galleried hall with Jacobean details and oriel over

doorway. Strapwork and ornate plasterwork.

BOUNDARY WALLS: squared and snecked Rattlebag rubble, with

stepped gablet coping by lodge, rounded rubble coping

to outer walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Commissioned by James Craig, paper manufacturer, whose

brother later commissioned Bunkerhill, Abbotsford Road,

from Lorimer, allegedly taking the commission away from

Kinross. Carlekemp was the first of the 3 Cotswold manor

houses built in Abbotsford Road before 1st World War.

(See Bunkerhill and Westerdunes, listed separately.)

Carlekemp served as a Roman Catholic Priory School for

many years. The quality of materials, craftsmanship and

detail is excellent throughout. Gates and gatepiers listed

separately with lodge.



ARCHITECT vol LXXVI, September 7th and 14th 1906.

C McWilliam LOTHIAN 1978 pp 131-132.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH BERWICK, ABBOTSFORD ROAD, CARLEKEMP WITH BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/08/2019 20:19