Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

TAYMOUNT HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDENLB13743

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
05/10/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
04/07/2007
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Kinclaven
NGR
NO 12296 34102
Coordinates
312296, 734102

Description

Mr Milne, architect, dated 1829 and possibly incorporating late 16th century cellar (see Notes); altered 1926 and 1976. Interesting, large 2-storey, house in commanding position overlooking River Tay. Unusual cottage orné references including canted bays with triple gablets, timber-transomed and -mullioned gothic windows, deep eaves overhang and retaining some fine interior detail. Whitewashed harl with contrasting painted droved ashlar margins and cills.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal 5-bay S elevation with gothic-detailed glazing, bipartite french windows with 4-part top lights at ground and large transomed bipartites at 1st floor; bays 2 and 4 canted, bay 5 set-back. Gabled, asymmetrical former entrance elevation to E with '1829' and '1976' datestones, former door at left blocked, 1st floor windows breaking eaves into dormerheads.

Decoratively-astragalled, timber casement windows, and 4-, 12-pane and plate glass glazing patterns to timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Polygonal and square ridge stacks with cans. Deeply overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.

INTERIOR: fine decorative scheme retained in some principal rooms including decorative plasterwork, timber panelling, mahogany doors and timber fire surrounds. 1926 renovations include sitting room panelling, drawing room canted bay and ceiling plasterwork (latter renovated 1976).

WALLED GARDEN: large walled garden covering 1 Scots acre. Flat-coped, stepped red brick with boarded timber doors to segmental-arched brick-voussoired openings. Potting shed to outer W elevation with WWII ammunition dump attached at N.

Statement of Special Interest

Taymount House is an unusual design with an uncommon gothic glazing pattern, and it retains remnants of early fabric and some fine interior detail. It is sited on high ground overlooking rapids on the River Tay and enjoys spectacular views to the south. Groome says 'Just below Taymount House, it forms a picturesque fall, the Linn of Campsie' (Vol IV, p397). Set within extensive grounds, the original building dates from circa 1580, and the cellar is thought to be part of that early structure. The estate was taken over by the Lindsay family in 1725, and remains in the same family today (2007). The earlier 19th century work included a rear courtyard (removed 1976) as well as the south front with its unusual canted bays with triple gablets. There are ancillary buildings sited immediately to the north and west and the walled garden lies to the east. The New Statistical Account reports that larch plantations within the parish of Kinclaven had suffered from an 'inexplicable' disease, continuing 'On the Taymount estate, twenty acres have recently been cut down in a state of entire decay.'

The picturesque cottage orné style, utilized in the artful rusticity of the southern elevation gabletted windowheads and elaborately astragalled windows (to S and W), was more commonly found in smaller buildings However, larger scale designs were found in Papworth's Designs for Rural Residences published in 1818. It is not yet known if the architect James Milne of Edinburgh was the Milne responsible for this building. He was working at the same time as Mr Milne, the architect, but known records do not at present (2007) list Taymount as one of his commissions.

List description revised 2007.

References

Bibliography

John Gifford The Buildings of Scotland Perth and Kinross (2007), p530. 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1859-64, 1894). Groome Ordnance Gazetteer Scotland Vols IV and VI, p430. New Statistical Account Vol 10 (1843), p1134. Fleming, Honour and Pevsner Penguin Dictionary of Architecture (1980), p83. Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TAYMOUNT HOUSE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/11/2018 05:45