Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

KEMBACK OLD PARISH CHURCHLB13703

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/06/1979
Date Removed:
06/06/2017
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Kemback
NGR
NO 41722 15108
Coordinates
341722, 715108

Removal Reason

Listing to be removed to resolve dual designation. Church will remain scheduled

Description

1582, remodelled in 1760, originally with cross aisle to north. Now roofless rectangle, west gable stands to full height: crowstepped with cavetto moulded skewputs, tall transomed centre opening. East gable, partly ruined, has built up centre window. South front: west-most door dated 1582, pair of large rectangular openings flanking door further east, all of 1760, low rectangular opening at side at west end is a cast iron railed burial enclosure, 1867, (Watson). Attached to the west gable is a further enclosure with cast-iron railings (Gomme), to the north is a railed enclosure of 1843, (Low), and a walled and railed enclosure, 1817, (Makgill of Kemback) on site of cross aisle with Makgill arms built into wall. To East, walled enclosure 1847 (Bethune).

INTERIOR: aumbrey at west end, blocked semicircular headed arch to cross-aisle at North. Burial ground round church has good enclosure wall with rounded cope, extended to East with flagged cope.

Statement of Special Interest

Repaired 1960 B group with items 18, 19, 29.

Scheduled Ancient Monument.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

Canmore

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KEMBACK OLD PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/10/2019 04:44