Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CARLOPS, ALLAN RAMSAY HOTELLB13687

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
23/02/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
West Linton
NGR
NT 16072 56056
Coordinates
316072, 656056

Description

Dated 1792. 2-storey, 9-bay, gabled hotel prominently sited at the heart of Carlops village. 5-bay section to left with dated, pedimented doorway with scrolled brackets to centre; further 4-bay addition extends to right with stone forestair rising to door at 1st floor. Stugged pale sandstone ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings.

Predominantly 4-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Ridge and end stacks with clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

part of a B Group comprising: Row of 6 Cottages (Ferndale, Houlet, Amulree, Finlaggan, Blinkieknowe, Birkenbush); Carlops, Row of 3 Cottages (Ashley, The Biggin, Weavers); Carlops, Carlops Church; Carlops, Pentland and Elphinstone; Carlops, Allan Ramsay Hotel; Carlops, Row of 4 Cottages (Springbank, Carberry, Langskaill, Jess (see separate listings).

A prominent landmark on the Edinburgh to Biggar road and a good example of a late 18th century traditional building. The pedimented doorpiece and stone forestair characterise the external appearance of the building which may have originated as a wool store and base for the organisation of the handloom weaving industry within the village. It has been an inn since at least the middle of the 19th century following the decline of the textile business in the area.

Due to its picturesque qualities and relatively close proximity to Edinburgh, the village found a new role as a health resort for summer visitors. An advertisement for the Allan Ramsay Hotel in 1880 notes Mrs Veitch as the 'proprietrix' and the hotel boasting two halls, posting, stabling, garaging and motor char-a-bancs twice daily in season from Edinburgh. The Hotel is named after the 18th Century poet whose 'The Gentle Shepherd' featured the surrounding North Esk scenery.

The existing village of Carlops was founded in 1784, when Robert Brown, the laird of Newhall, began to establish a cotton-weaving industry there, laying out linear rows of weavers cottages on each side of the main Edinburgh to Biggar road. As the textile industry declined towards the end of the 19th century, the picturesque village found a new role as a health resort for summer visitors from Edinburgh and remains a centre for day visitors and Pentland Hill walkers.

The village is predominantly characterised by its rows of single storey former cotton-weavers cottages and largely retains its traditional character due in part to its linear geography.

List description updated at resurvey (2010).

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1856-9), 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1896). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland - Borders (2002) p488.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARLOPS, ALLAN RAMSAY HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 02:28