Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
West Linton
NT 17312 54657
317312, 654657


Mid 18th century with early 19th century additions and alterations (see Notes). Linear range of farmbuildings comprising 2-storey, 4-bay farmhouse; single-storey, open L-plan range to left; offices linked to right and former cart shed and byre to far right, stepping down in height.

House: rubble with ashlar skews. Irregular fenestration arrangement to 1st floor with windows set close to eaves. Lean-to addition to rear with pair of round-arched casement windows to ground. Predominantly 12-pane glazing to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Coped skews. Coped end stacks with clay cans.

Stable offices linked to right: gabled with timber door to centre and loft opening breaking eaves above; ashlar skews. Former cartshed to right and former byre to far right. Corrugated iron roofs.

INTERIOR: Farmhouse: timber shutters and some timber wall panelling; timber roof beams. Stable offices: split level with timber stair and timber trough.

WALLED GARDEN: small irregular-plan walled garden with low rubble wall located opposite farmhouse; stone flagged pathways.

Statement of Special Interest

Located on higher ground overlooking the former Deepsykehead stone quarries to the south, this is a good example of a traditional house with an 18th century arrangement of adjoining outbuildings arranged on a linear plan, stepping down in height at gabled ends.

Deepsykehead was the local quarrymaster's house during the late 18th and 19th century. By 1791, the Deepsykehead Quarry was supplying all Tweedale with white free stone and at its height, builder and owner of the quarry Charles Lawson, employed 100 men. The quarry ceased operating in 1873.

The arrangement of windows to principal elevation suggest the house was originally 3-bay, and extended to the right side, probably in the early 19th century. Alterations to ground floor openings suggest that the building was subdivided around this time, evidenced by the introduction of an additional staircase. The former cartshed to the right has been converted into a studio (2010).

List description revised at resurvey, 2010.



1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1856-9), 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1896). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland - Borders (2002) pp151-2. Further information courtesy of the owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DEEPSYKEHEAD FARMHOUSE AND STABLE OFFICES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 04:02