Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LANGTON, ST CUTHBERT'S CHURCHYARDLB13682

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/06/1971
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Langton
NGR
NT 76248 52535
Coordinates
376248, 652535

Description

Various early gravestones. Part of wall of now ruined church used as vault (see Notes). Tall rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

This listing is in a group B listing with the other extant buildings, and the principal gate, on the Langton estate. The church was already ruinous and part of it had been made into a vault by 1857. According to Binnie, the church's roof fell in, in 1727 and in 1736 extensive repairs were carried out ( virtually rebuilding the structure). In 1758, the Langton estate was bought by David Gavin and he proceeded to build Gavinton, where the inhabitants of Langton village were moved. The old village was demolished except for the church. "It is likely that the 3m high wall around the graveyard dates from about this time and was built to exclude churchgoers' prying eyes from Langton House." Once the new church was built in Gavinton, the old church was probably demolished although the churchyard was used until at least 1868. There is a headstone dated 1620 and is said to be the oldest headstone in Scotland. The family of the burial vault is unknown. To its centre there is an arched pedimented gravestone with skull and crossbone carved. The inscription beneath this is now too weathered to be read. There was various openings. The internal roof is smooth vaulted. Binnie thinks that the vault was probably built for the Cockburn family in the 18th century.

References

Bibliography

1st edition OS map (1857). GAC Binnie THE CHURCHES AND GRAVEYARDS OF BERWICKSHIRE (1995), P315-18.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LANGTON, ST CUTHBERT'S CHURCHYARD

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 10:57