Circa 1850, 2-storey 3-bay plain Tudor style farmhouse
with lower 2-storey service wing at right angles;
flat-roofed single storey billiard room addition to W
side, circa 1925. Cream sandstone ashlar side elevations
and droved dressings, squared and coursed N elevation;
harling to rear and service wing. Base course, chamfered
N ELEVATION: slightly recessed bay at centre with
four-centred doorway with hoodmould and label stops,
fanlight and panelled door; small 1st floor window
above. Gabled outer bays each with canted window at
ground and 1st floor windows; blank shields in
E and W elevations gabled. Flat-roofed addition with
tripartite window to N and canted bay to W.
Rear wing 3 bays in depth, adjoined to E side, with
Small and horizontal-pane glazing patterns to sash and
case windows; plate glass to canted additions to N. Grey
slates. Gablet coping to skews and bracketted skewputts.
4 corniced polygonal stacks to E and W elevations.
INTERIOR: coarsely detailed plasterwork; scale and platt
GARDEN WALL: high rubble garden wall to SE of house.
Statement of Special Interest
Pogbie Farm lies to S. The 1st hard tennis court in
Scotland was built to SE of house in 1924, currently in
disrepair (1988). The occupant in 1852 was Thomas
Maitland (DIRECTORY), and in 1925, T. J. Carlyle Gifford.