Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LOGAN HOUSELB13564

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 20/07/1972

Location

  • Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish: Kirkmaiden

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NX 9645 42824
  • Coordinates: 209645, 542824

Description

1702. Simple classical mansion house. Remodelled 1952, following demolition of extensive Baronial addition by David Bryce, 1874. 3-storey and raised basement, 3-bay house; T-plan to rear. Single storey service wing, by David Bryce, 1874. Painted pebbledash. Some original ashlar dressings, mainly to W elevation, and some concrete dressings (1952): margins; rusticated quoins; continuous eaves cornice. Square windows at 2nd floor.

E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pedimented bay advanced at centre: central doorway with flanking windows at ground floor; segmental pedimented doorpiece (some concrete repairs), with flanking Corinthian columns and moulded architrave; 2-leaf panelled doors; sweeping steps up to door, with iron barley-sugar balustrade and timber handrail; window at centre at 1st and 2nd floors; carved armorial panel in tympanum. Window to ground, 1st and 2nd floors in outer bays.

N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Broad bowed bay at centre; window to each floor, out-of-line to right at basement; swept semi-conical roof. Windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors in outer bays, blind at 2nd floor in bay to right; door in bay to left at basement; slit window set in blocked doorway in bay to right at basement. Harled wall adjoined to left, and service wing (see service wing) adjoined to right, forming courtyard.

S ELEVATION: broad 3-light windows at centre at basement and ground floor. Door to right at basement. Windows to left, and to right of centre at 1st and 2nd floors. S return of W elevation recessed to left (see W elevation).

W ELEVATION: 3-bay. Piended jamb advanced at centre; tripartite French window at ground floor; broad flight of steps up to door, with iron balustrade; windows at centre at 1st and 2nd floors. Window to all floors to S return of jamb, out-of-line to right at ground floor. Small full-height piended block in re-entrant angle to S; windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors to S. Window to left to each floor in bay to right. Window to left at 1st and 2nd floors to N return of jamb. Window to 1st and 2nd floors in bay to left. 2-storey flat-roofed block filling re-entrant angle to N; window at basement and ground floor to W; single storey service wing (see service wing) adjoined to N.

Sash and case windows; mainly 12-pane glazing, 6-pane glazing at 2nd floor. 2 ashlar-dressed, coped, squared and snecked rubble ridge stacks. Broad, corniced, harled, wallhead stack to N return to W elevation. Grey slates to piended roofs, with slightly swept eaves.

INTERIOR: impressive spiral staircase; timber balustrade, with alternately fluted and barley-sugar balusters. Simple marble chimney surrounds. Some fine plaster cornices.

SERVICE WING: David Bryce, 1874. L-plan; adjoined to N elevation of house; courtyard formed by wall to E. Harled; squared and snecked red sandstone ashlar to N elevation. Red sandstone ashlar dressings.

N ELEVATION: gabled bay to left; roll-moulded round-arched carriage entrance, with 2-leaf boarded doors. Low broad door to right. Gabled bay recessed to outer right.

W ELEVATION: 4-bay. Gabled bay advanced to left of centre; window at ground floor; loop window in gablehead; very narrow window flanking bay to right. Window in remaining bays.

E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: door to right. 3 windows.

E ELEVATION: blank gabled bay to right, surmounted by weathervane. Flat-coped wall to left, enclosing courtyard.

2 gabled louvred ventilators to E and W pitches. Ashlar coped skews and skewends. Coped ashlar stacks; gablehead to N, ridge at centre. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Raised terrace in front of house to E, constructed of red sandstone masonry from 1874 addition. Flat-coped wallhead, surmounted by 2 stone urns. Driveway up to NE; 2 squat piers, surmounted by stone pineapples. Several small iron lamp standards on tripod bases.

Statement of Special Interest

Logan House was built in 1702 for Colonel Andrew McDouall.

An extensive Baronial addition was made to Logan House by David Bryce in 1874, which left only the original back wall of the house exposed. This addition was demolished in 1952, and the original Logan House was restored. The restored version did not exactly reproduce the original, which had paired windows to the two upper floors in the centre bay, with the armorial panel between those at 1st floor, basement windows in the outer bays, and urns surmounting the pediment. The original house was also flanked by 2-storey piended pavilions. Logan was the seat of the McDoualls. See separate listings for Logan: Bridge; Folly Tower; Hen Knowe Cottages; Logan Botanic Garden; Logan Court (former Coach House and Stables); Logan Fish Pond, Cottage and Bathing Hut.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol IV (1845) Wigton, p 200;

P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LANDS AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol I (1870) pp 40-45, Vol II (1877) pp 144-152;

F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol IV (1895) pp 431,546;

M M Harper RAMBLES IN GALLOWAY (1896) pp 368-369;

RCAHMS INVENTORY Wigtown (1912) p 53;

C H Dick HIGHWAYS AND BYWAYS IN GALLOWAY AND CARRICK (1916) pp 324-326;

R C Reid "Logan Estate" TRANSACTIONS OF THE DUMFRIESSHIRE AND GALLOWAY NATURAL HISTORY AND ANTIQUARIAN SOCIETY 1923-24, pp 178-180;

THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965) p 503;

V Fiddes and A Rowan DAVID BRYCE (1976) p 126;

G Stell EXPLORING SCOTLAND'S HERITAGE; DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY (1986) p71;

AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND (1987) Vol 2, pp 85-89.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/08/2016 00:29