Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NW 98850 63069
198850, 563069


John Hay, circa 1812. Polygonal walled garden. Circular gazebo at one angle. Area to S enclosed by walls and Mill Isle Burn. Rubble walls. Red sandstone flat coping. Brick to inside of N wall (site of former glasshouses). Some round-arched gateways.

GAZEBO: circular gazebo set in SE angle, with bowed loggia to internal angle. Rubble, formerly rendered; ashlar margins. Red sandstone flat coping to wallhead. Red sandstone semi-circular string course below wallhead. Round-arched openings. Doorway to SE; windows to E and S. Doorway to NE into loggia; flanking narrow windows. Loggia clasping gazebo to NE, with low bowed brick wall, and bowed slate roof, supported on 4 tree trunk piers. Remains of studded door and window

framing in gazebo.

No original glasshouses. Large round-arched gateway to SW. Roofless rubble lean-to outbuildings (including former mushroom houses and furnace house) adjoined to outer side of N wall. Piended square-plan building (former toolhouse) adjoined to outer angle to NX, with round-arched doorway from garden.

ENCLOSURE: area (former "flower garden") between S wall of garden and Mill Isle Burn enclosed by walls to E and W; walls continued across burn. Wall adjoined to NE angle of garden; large segmental-arched opening to E; wall curves round to SE to cross Mill Isle Burn with segmental arch. Wall adjoined to S angle of garden; crosses Mill Isle Burn with round arch. Walls terminate on S side of burn. Banks of Mill Isle Burn built up with rubble. Small brick lined circular pond to enclosure.

Statement of Special Interest

The Walled Garden was designed by John Hay, and built between 1812 and 1815, according to his "Design of a kitchen and flower garden... " dated 1812 (RHP 3981). There are no original glasshouses remaining; they were originally situated against the north wall.

See separate listings for Lochnaw: Boathouse; Bridge; Lochnaw Castle; Garden House; Kathleen Cottage (former Garchrie Lodge) and Gatepiers; Kinsale Tower; Larbrax Lodge; Noel Lodge; Old Lochnaw Castle.

Upgraded from Category B to A, 23 October 1997.



SRO RHP 3981 "Design of a kitchen and flower garden which may be executed on a spot pointed out at Lochnaw" John Hay, 1812; RHP 3983 "Plan of the Hothouses in the new Garden at Lochnaw Castle" John Hay, 1815; RHP 3984, 3985 and 6491 (Mackenzie & Moncur, 1898 and 1912).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LOCHNAW, WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 11:07