Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NW 98415 61049
198415, 561049


1843 (dated); later alterations and additions. Free-standing hall to E, circa 1907. 2-storey house, with 1st floor breaking eaves; lower single storey school (converted to domestic use, 1975) adjoined to N. Tall single storey hall, containing additional classroom, situated to SE.

SCHOOLHOUSE AND SCHOOL: painted rubble. Projecting cills. Mainly 4-pane glazing in sash and case windows to house; small-pane glazing to school. Red sandstone ashlar coped skews; beak skewputts. Painted rubble gablehead stacks, to N to school, and ashlar banded to E and W to house. Graded grey slates to N pitch of house, purple slates to S pitch; small grey slates to school. Octagonal cans.


E ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floors to right.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay. Gabled bay advanced to left; bipartite window at ground floor, window at 1st floor; ashlar spike finial. Window at ground floor in bay to right; gabled dormerhead to window at 1st floor. Later painted brick gabled bay further advanced at centre; window at ground and 1st floors; formerly with door to E return.

W ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floors to left.

N ELEVATION: school adjoined to right of centre. Porch adjoined to left (see below). Door to outer right.


E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled stone porch to left, in re-entrant angle with house; deeply-set round-arched door to E; ashlar shield in gablehead, inscribed "Larbrax School 1843"; diamond-paned window to N return; ashlar spike finial. 2 windows flanking centre.

W ELEVATION: 3 windows.


HALL: harled. Concrete tabbed margins. Overhanging eaves. 8-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Harled corniced gablehead stack to N, with octagonal can. Small grey slates.

N ELEVATION: window to left. Door, on N return of porch, to outer left.

E ELEVATION: gabled porch to right, with window to E. Lean-to, with corrugated metal roof, adjoined to remainder of elevation to left.

S ELEVATION: 3 tall windows.

W ELEVATION: window to outer left.

Water pump in yard. Painted brick former pony shed to SW.

Statement of Special Interest

Larbrax School closed in 1966. The actual school was converted to domestic use and incorporated with the schoolhouse in 1975. The hall to the SE is marked on the OS Map of 1906-07, although it is not shaded in, presumably indicating that it was in process of being built.



NMRS Index: SRO GD154/607, Account of the cost of building school and house (1843); SRO RHP 6770, Plan. F H Groome (ed) ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND Vol IV (1895) p502. OS Map 1896, Wigtownshire, Sheet XVI NE (surveyed 1893). OS Map 1909, Wigtownshire, Sheet XVI NE (surveyed 1906-07). Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LARBRAX SCHOOLHOUSE AND HALL (FORMER SCHOOL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 11:32