Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SCALPAY, EILEAN GLAS LIGHTHOUSE, OLD LIGHTHOUSE, STORE AND ENCLOSURE WALL, KEEPER'S COTTAGES, OUTBUILDINGS, JETTY AND FOGHORNLB13487

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
30/03/1994
Supplementary Information Updated
01/03/2004
Local Authority
Na h-Eileanan Siar
Planning Authority
Na h-Eileanan Siar
Parish
Harris
NGR
NG 24743 94715
Coordinates
124743, 894715

Description

2 circular lighthouse towers, main tower designed by Robert Stevenson circa 1825 superseding 1789 tower; 1789 house adjoining original tower converted to store also probably 1825; high enclosure wall; 2 parallel detached ranges of single storey keeper's cottages to north probably by Alan Stevenson circa 1845; jetty to northwest; outbuildings; foghorn to south at Rudh' an Eorna. Most buildings whitewashed.

ORIGINAL LIGHTHOUSE: probably lowered in height, lantern replaced by shallow-pitched roof circa 1825.

MAIN LIGHTHOUSE: 5-stage tower with bands between stages, painted red and white. Small oculi in narrow top band under cantilevered platform with lattice guard rails. Lantern with diamond glazing and domed cap.

STORE: originally 2 storeys; converted probably by Alan Stevenson 1845 to single storey keepers' cottages. Rubble-built with long and short dressings to doors and windows. Simple parapet and flat roof. Tall stacks.

KEEPERS' COTTAGES: range to north east now 2 cottages (originally 3) in Graeco-Egyptian manner. Built of squared whin rubble with granite dressings. Bold ramped doorpieces with cavetto cornices and stepped blocking courses, outer bays similarly detailed but with windows (one later door). Sash and case windows with 8-pane glazing pattern. Main cornice and blocking course. Tall battered stacks with splayed cornices, 4 central stacks grouped, outer 2 paired. Flat roof. Range to north west 8 bays with principal house and old engine room.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a classic example of a lighthouse complex which encompasses the lighthouse, accommodation for the keepers and their families, means of transport with the jetty and a means of subsistence with fields and walled garden. It forms a distinctive grouping in a remarkable setting. This site also documents the development of the lighthouse with the earlier tower being one of the first 4 lighthouses commissioned by the Northern Lighthouse Board, which had been formed 3 years earlier. The other 3 lighthouses being Kinnaird?s Head at Fraserburgh, Dennis Head on North Ronaldsay and the Mull of Kintyre lighthouse.

The lamp was first lit on October 16th 1789, a plaque on the original keeper's house mentions Alexander Reid, the first keeper who came in 1789 and stayed for 35 years. The Egyptian style of the keepers' cottage is also of architectural interest and was later used at the Ardnamurchan lighthouse keepers' cottages. They retain their original brass door hinges which are marked with 'NLB'.

Upgraded to category A March 2004.

References

Bibliography

John Taylor, Harris - a Guide and Gazetteer, 1971 (includes reproduction of 1819 print by William Daniell). 1789 construction work may have related to the developments at Rodel in the earlier/mid 1780's. Information from Comhairle nan Eilean. Munro, R. Scottish Lighthouses (1979) pp.56-57; Allardyce, K. & Hood, E. At Scotland's Edge (1986) p.11; NMRS Archive.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SCALPAY, EILEAN GLAS LIGHTHOUSE, OLD LIGHTHOUSE, STORE AND ENCLOSURE WALL, KEEPER'S COTTAGES, OUTBUILDINGS, JETTY AND FOGHORN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 05:36