Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ALEXANDER MORTON MONUMENT, BESIDE A71 BETWEEN NEWMILNS AND DARVELLB13461

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
03/07/1980
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Parish
Loudoun
NGR
NS 55216 37472
Coordinates
255216, 637472

Description

Sir Robert Lorimer, 1926-7. On a semi-octagonal plan, snecked rubble with ashlar dressings, all cream sandstone. Centre bay has raised semi-octagonal central feature with bronze bust of Morton, slightly corbelled out, in round-headed niche. Dates of birth and death flank head of niche, Inscription on panel below reads 'Alexander Morton who led this valley to industrial fame and prosperity'. Flanking bays have plain copes, bas-relief panels and inscriptions. On left relief of hand-loom weaver and woman pirn winder, inscription reading 'The wonder of the world: the beauty and the power: the shapes of things'. On right relief of power lace loom, inscription reading 'Their colours lights and shades: these I saw: look ye also while life lasts'. Below reliefs plain wooden benches on stone supports.

End bays are lower than flanking bays, with copes concave-curved down to short plinths for sculptures of, on left boy with corn sheaf and sickle, on right girl with flying shuttle, both with cloche-style hats. Below boy inscription 'Erected by public subscription'. Deep, slightly battered base course. Flanking simple wrought iron railings. Paved area bounded by walls approached by flight of fourstairs.

Statement of Special Interest

Alexander Morton introduced machine lace making intot he Irvine Valley in about 1880, using machinery from Nottingham. The area became world-renowned for lacemaking and still produces lace and related products. Lorimer was friendly with the Morton family. Upgraded C(S) to A 20 May 1993.

References

Bibliography

Peter Savage, LORIMER AND THE EDINBURGH CRAFT DESIGNERS p178.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALEXANDER MORTON MONUMENT, BESIDE A71 BETWEEN NEWMILNS AND DARVEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 05:49