Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Little Dunkeld
NO 07134 40061
307134, 740061


Pre-reformation mortuary chapel of the Stewarts of Grandtully, extended by the addition of the Romanesque Chapel of St Anthony The Eremite by James Gillespie Graham for Sir William Drummond Stewart.

ORIGINAL CHAPEL: ?16/17th century. Barrel-vaulted timber boarded ceiling decorated with arabesque motifs. Notable water stoup. Fine early 18th century cream sandstone mural monument to Sir Thomas Stewart, four partially fluted Corinthian columns framing mural tablet and supporting pediment containing Stewart arms, surmounted by two winged trumpeters and and flaming urns. Series of well preserved hatchments. Vestry recently relined in modern pine panelling.

NEW CHAPEL: James Gillespie Graham, 1846 (?A W N Pugin see NOTES). Romanesque style chapel added to W of original. Spectacular interior decoration by Alexander Christie, ARSA and by pupils of his School of Design of the Board of Manufactures for Scotland, in Edinburgh, 1846-48. Lavish use of gilding, marbling, carved wood work etc. All dominated by huge mural depicting the Vision of Constantine. Altar, stalls, confessional and other carved wood work by Charles Trotter of Edinburgh. Stained glass by James Ballantyne, Edinburgh.

Statement of Special Interest

400 yards N of castle. Outstanding interior and a unique survival in Scotland of the collaboration between James Gillespie Grahma and A W N Pugin, with decoration by charles Trotter and James Gallantyne, and Alexander Christie. It is likely that Gillespie Graham worked in association with Gothic Revival architect A W N Pugin on the chap designs, as he did on several other projects in Scotland inlcuding designs for the interior of the new Murthly Castle. Although most of the latter were probably unexecuted ?Pugin's Great Hall and a Louis XIV style draing room were incorporated into the old castle when the new was abandoned. The new chapel was the first Roman catholic place of worship to be dedicated in Scotland since the reformation. Upgraded 18.5.93.



SRO, GD, 121/97/XX/179. Pugin's diaries, V & A CATALOGUE, April 24, 1845 "sent Mr Graham's drawings" ?for fittings for Murthly Chapel; August 9-15, 1849 Pugin visits Murthly on his tour in Scotland. NMRS, Commemorative volume onthe opening of Murthly Chapel, 1850, published by Schenk and Ghemar. Trotter albums: Drawing of Ornaments, vols I and II, NMRS special collections. William Fraser, RED BOOK OF GRANDTULLY, 1868, printed for Sir William Drummond Stewart, Baronet of Grandtully (NLS). THE GOTHIC REVIAL, James Macaulay, 1975, p247. Unpublished dissertation, Gillaim Haggart (NMRS).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHAPEL OF ST ANTHONY THE EREMITE, MURTHLY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/08/2022 16:28