Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

LAMLASH, LAMLASH AND KILBRIDE PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING CROSS AND BAPTISMAL FONT, FORMER CLOSET, BOUNDARY WALL, PIERS AND RAILINGSLB13441

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
28/01/1994
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Kilbride
NGR
NS 2569 30939
Coordinates
202569, 630939

Description

H and D Barclay, 1886. T-plan, aisleless, Gothic-style church with massive campanile-like tower. Snecked, bull-faced red rubble sandstone, ashlar dressings, green slate roof, terracotta ridge tiles. Deep base course, eaves course, buttresses to eash gable, sawtooth skews with pedimented kneelers, stepped lancet detail and finials (some missing) at gable api. Single pointed windows with nook shafts and hoodmoulds, 3-light stepped window at front gable in similar style, 3-light stepped lancets to east gable with chamfered arrises, chainlink pattern leaded lights. Rectangular cast-iron downpipes with decorative fixings and hoppers.

N ELEVATION: tower advanced to centre, window at ground floor, 2-leaf boarded door at left return, multiple-moulded, pointed-arch doorcase with squat nook shafts and foliate capitals, set in gable doorpiece; corniced upper stage with architraved, 3-light pointed-arch belfry openings to each elevation, row of flight-holes set-back above as eaves course, finialled pyramidal spirelet. 2 windows to nave at left; shallow transept to right with 3 windows, 1 window to right return; 4 lucarnes to nave roof.

E GABLE: 3-light window.

S ELEVATION: 4 windows to right, transept advanced to left with shouldered-arch doorpiece to centre, 3 windows, window to right return; 4 lucarnes to nave roof.

W GABLE: low, gabled transverse vertry at centre with pedimented dormerhead, window to left and right returns, door to left and right return linking section; 3-light window, 2 squat octagonal stacks to either side of gablehead.

INTERIOR: boarded vestibule; 3 pointed ashlar arches to transepts with polished granite columns and foliate capitals; boarded dado; original pews with bookrests, angled towards communion table at crossing; tripartite Gothic sedilia at centre of W end behind communion table and pulpit, open work gallery above, doors to left and right with pedimented overdoors, organ cases to far left and right; various memorial stained glass windows, patterned stained glass elsewhere, hoodmoulds; early light fittings; corniced wallhead, gallery above, boarded barrel-vaulted ceiling with arched braces extending down to ashlar-corbelled wall posts; 9 bell carillon in tower (J Wilson, bellfounders, Glasgow).

CROSS AND BAPTISMAL FONT: situated to front of E end, grey stone cross on base depicting the spirit of Christ rising from a chalice, small round baptismal font. Both items unearthed in the graveyard of the old Kilbride Church in 1892, and thought to be of 14th century origin. FORMER CLOSET: small round structure of bull-faced red sandstone and facetted conical green slate roof, built as closet now housing organ blowing mechanism; ashlar doorcase.

BOUNDARY WALL, PIERS AND RAILINGS: ashlar-coped red sandstone rubble boundary wall to rear, chamfered ashlar gateway; 2 pyramidal-capped ashlar gatepiers to front, 1 at NE angle, simpler pier at NW; decorative cast-iron railings to N and E.

Statement of Special Interest

An ecclesiastical building in use as such, prominently situated on the Shore Road and listed category A in consideration of the prominent tower. This building replaced an earlier plain building of 1773 (illustrated in the centenary booklet), itself replacing the earlier Kilbride church, the remains of which survive at the present Lamlash graveyard. It is not known why Pilkington and Bells' 1871 designs were not executed (nor do they appear to have survived), but it is possible that the Barclay design was influenced by it. The church was financed to the tune of approximately $4,000 by the Duke of Hamilton. The extensive account of the opening of the church in the AYR ADVERTISER AND GALLOWAY CHRONICLE includes a list of tradesmen (principally from Glasgow).

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1845), vol.V, p33; AYR ADVERTISER AND GALLOWAY CHRONICAL, 11th JUne 1886; Drawings for New Parish Church at Lamlash for Duke of Hamilton by Frederick Pilkington and John Murray Bell, entry in Royal Scottish Academy, catalogue no 902, 1871; LAMLASH PARISH CHURCH 1886-1986 (1986); Horace Fairhurst, THE CHURCH IN ARRAN, Arran Heritage Museum pamphlet, 1985.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LAMLASH, LAMLASH AND KILBRIDE PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING CROSS AND BAPTISMAL FONT, FORMER CLOSET, BOUNDARY WALL, PIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/11/2018 08:41