Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
NO 14621 36733
314621, 736733


Circa 1850's (see NOTES), large gabled shooting lodge/country house

with baronial turrets at angles. Long rectangle on plan, main block 2-storey, with lower single-storey and attic wing to E/NE, projecting slightly to form L-plan at entrance (NW) front. Grey sandstone stugged and snecked rubble masonry, droved ashlar dressings. Sequence of plain bargeboarded gables over projecting bays of main house block, and smaller bargeboarded gablets to dormer headed windows. Single and bi- and tripartite mullioned windows; series of projecting canted windows at ground floor to S/SE elevation, overlooking River Tay. Plate glass sash and case glazing, window frames with moulded horns, shorter upper sashes 1/3, taller lower sashes 2/3 in height; also leaded casement. Large number of original blind boxes. Slated pitched roofs, and tall axial ridge stacks. Timber bracketted overhanging eaves and timber corbel course at eaves and timber corbel course at eaves below slated conical roofs of turrets, apices decorated with lead flashings and iron finials. ENTRANCE (NW) ELEVATION: single-storey parapetted Baronial porch to right in front of gabled bay, parapet pierced to either side of sculptural armorial shield set in raised segmental arch over centre; vigorous Scottish Renaissance style masonry scroll and obelisk finials over outer, rounded angles of porch; telescoping 3-stage turret to left; modern slate-roofed single-storey addition further left in NE re-entrant angle.

Short, SW ELEVATION: 2 symmetrical gables with canted windows projecting at ground floor flanking large mullioned and transomed stair window at centre; telescopic 3-stage turret to left. Stair window with leaded casement windows. RIVER-FACING (SE) GARDEN ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay gabled elevation, 2-storey with gabletted dormers; single-storey and attic wing to right. Canted baywindows at ground floor of centre and right-hand gabled bays step down to terraced garden, which has some ornamental masonry vases.

E WING: 2 parallel single-storey and attic wings, with crowstepped gables, chimneybreasts and stacks running through centres of symmetrical E gables, modern link in between; crowstepped dormer-headed windows to SE.

INTERIOR: several extremely fine white marble chimney-pieces at ground and 1st floors, of various styles, and other with variegated coloured marble/scagliola slips, all with original cast-iron grates, fire-backs, fenders and fire-irons. Entrance hall/outer hall: white marble, neo-Greek chimneypiece, with reclining nymph bas-relief carving on centre tablet of frieze, Greek scroll key decoration, brass fender. Inner hall (in front of stair): white marble chimneypiece with fluted astylar columns, tapered below; timber staircase with twist balusters. Drawing room (ground floor): vigorously detailed neo-Rococo white marble chimneypiece inBrycian manner with large scrolling leafed consoles, set at canted angle, and swirling scallop at centre of frieze, white marble fender; compartmentalised Jacobethan style ceiling (ornamental plasterwork embellishment removed - see REFERENCES, NMRS photo), and decorative frieze. Dining Room (opens on to terrace): walls divided in panels, and subdivided by Ionic pilasters framing chimney piece at centre of N(NW) wall: fire surround of white marble, with detached Ionic column stiles with canted volutes, corniced shelf, Roman mythological scene (Androcles and the Lion in centre tablet, flanked by garlands, very fine brass fender, grate, rails with large acorn finials, and cast-iron splayed fire-back.

Statement of Special Interest

House not listed in 'Directory of Seats &c in Scotland' until 1857.

Set in designed landscape, main avenue to N(NW), and secondary avenue to W.



Sales particulars in NMRS (1970 and 1990) catalogue shows crystal chandelier in drawing room, and oak furniture.

NMRS photographs, Magnus Jackson Collection (originals in Perth Art Gallery and Museum), show original dark- painted windows and bargeboards, and interior (drawing room) decorative scheme, circa 1875. OS 1st edition map, 1867, and OS Namebook: "A fine mansion house with offices, vegetable garden and a small portion of ornamental ground attached, property of Major General Richardson of Tullybilton.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALLATHIE HOUSE (HOTEL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/03/2019 21:15