James G Davis, dated 1840. Singel storey and attic, near-symmetrical gabled school. Snecked rubble with cherry caulking, ashlar dressings. Margins to windows; hoodmoulds; quoin strips; overhanging bracketted eaves.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION: broad 5-bay boarded timber porch to centre with doorway to centre with 2 windows to right and left, half-piend slate roof. Gabled, ashlar dormer breaking eaves to centre above, cast-iron rooflight to right. Taller, single, gabled bays flanking porch; window at ground and attic to right, canted window with ashlar mullinos to left at ground, inscribed plaque (for inscription see notes) above attic window. Window at ground to recessed bay to uter left. Doorway and 2 windows to outer right, with flat-roofed dormer above windows to outer right.
SIDE-ELEVATION: both elevations with 4-light mullioned and transomed window at ground with loop below apex.
REAR ELEVATION: asymmetrical with gabled bays, modern flat-roofed extension abutting. Fixed small-pane timber framed windows with top hoppers, some windows with timber casements. Grey slate roof. Mostly rendered, coped stacks, tall corniced, sandstone stack to rear with off-set base.
BOUNDARY WALL: rubble wall, semi-circular coped.
Statement of Special Interest
Kilmartin School, originally Poltalloch School, was built by the
Malcolm family as a Girls School of industry. The plaque on the entrance elevation records that "This school was erected by Neil Malcolm of Poltalloch Esq, AD 1840. In compliance with the wishes and intentions of his beloved and lamented wife Hariet Mary Clarke Fernoise who died 1837".
In 1875 the School Baord of Kilmartin
acquired Polloch school and it became Kilmartin Public School.