Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

NEWTOWN OF FALKLAND BONTHRONE MALTINGS ( FORMERLY NEWTON OLD BREWERY)LB13311

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/02/1993
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Falkland
NGR
NO 26847 7103
Coordinates
326847, 707103

Description

Maltings and brewery complex, established 1600, remodelled early 19th century, and again at later dates during the 19th century, comprising North Maltings ranged along Main Street, and later South maltings, forming a courtyard to S, linked to North Maltings by oversailing bridge carried across Home Road, attached to South Maltings kiln. Rubble with pantiled and slated roofs. 3 kilns with pyramidal roofs and pagoda ventilators add to visual impact of the group in the landscape.

North Maltings: wedge-shaped site, with long single-storey N range to street, and double malt barn ranges linked to S, square-plan kiln at centre to W, with W elevation of N range and W gables of maltings splaying to either side.

N range (fire-damaged, 1992) incorporates earlier (17th-18th century) build, with boulder rubble to lower courses, especially evident on W elevation: evidently re-cast and heightened from single to 2-storey building circa mid-later 19th century; asymmetrical openings N to street, with segmental-arched cart-arch at right. Roof partially collapsed. Maltings: probably early 19th century, recast mid 19th century; 3-storey, 7-bay, with dog-leg double range; rubble with pantiled M-roof. Window openings made smaller in mid 19th century.

INTERIOR: timber floors on slender earlier 19th century cast-iron columns, supplemented by thicker columns at time of remodelling. Bakers ovens.Kiln: to W; square-plan, roof remodelled early 20th century (top courses rendered brick), and with replacement slated pyramid roof and shallow pyramid cap to square apex ventilator. Timber-lined roof interior and wire mesh floor. Adjacent timber-clad lead pagoda-capped elevator cover. Timber-clad bridge with piended slate roof on steel girders links N and S maltings. South Maltings: 1874 courtyard surrounded by large malt barn to E, workshops and offices to N, and stables and cart shed to S. Malt barn: 3-storey, 8-bay; rubble with piended pantiled roof, elevator cover with pagoda roof breaking through ridge to N near kiln; scarred W (courtyard) elevation where former grain drying range has been demolished (see References), leaving iron fire doors. Interior: timber floors on single row of cast-iron columns, square timber posts at 2nd floor. Queen post attic with grain bins. Steeps formerly at S end. Large square-plan Kiln to N, with red-tiled roof with elaborate pagoda-type apex ventilator; timber-lined roof interior. Framework only of floor remains. Circular-plan brick chimney stalk with oversailer and cornice on square masonry base in NE courtyard angle, rising from former brwhouse: 2-storey with slated piend and flat roof. 1st floor rendered where formerly probably was burned. Single-storey stables,cart-shed and workshops ranges enclosing courtyard on other 3 sides, with simple boarded doors. Windows part glazed over shutters throughout.

Statement of Special Interest

Important feature in the village and a distinctive landmark in the countryside. The bonthrones began brewing here in 1600 and stopped in 1916, thence to concentrate on malting and bottling, and acquired rivals at Ladybank in 1935 and Pitlessie in 1937, also having Stratheden Distillery from 1829-1929 at Auchtermuchty. Malting stopped in 1960.

References

Bibliography

OS maps, 25" 1894 edition, Fifeshire, sheet XIX 4. John R Hume The Industrial Archaeology of Scotland, vol 1. The Lowlands and Borders, 1976, p134, and plate 36.

RCAHMS, SIAS SURVEY, MS/500/12/2, 1982, records of 1890s grain drying range, which ran parallel to the E malt barn, South Maltings (demolished).Fragments of this range re-erected around courtyard of South Maltings courtyard (date stones, cast-iron columns etc). Scottish Brewing Archive Newsletter No 7 Summer 1986. "The Story of Bonthrone

of Newton, 1600-1950", A Bonthrone and Sons Ltd, 1950 (Fife County Library).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEWTOWN OF FALKLAND BONTHRONE MALTINGS ( FORMERLY NEWTON OLD BREWERY)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/11/2018 16:38