Hospital for consumptives (TB) founded by William Quarrier, who had previously founded the Quarrier Homes for orphans on the adjacent site. Original buildings designed by Robert A Bryden of Glasgow in a free revivalist style, and built in stages between 1894-1907. Buildings are domestic in character, if not in scale, with detailing such as canted windows, decorative eaves, complex roof-forms, windows usually sash and case or casement - all features used on suburban domestic villas; ie this as part of the movement towards hospital buildings being less obviously institutional in character. Built mainly of red ashlar, interiors with glazed wall tiles, decorative wrought-ironwork (eg to stairs) with art nouveau detailing. Slate roofs.
HOSPITAL MAIN BLOCK comprises 3 large blocks, almost villa-like, and linked by low glazed wards having walkways on their flat roofs; in symmetrical south-facing linear arrangement. Block nearest east (Wards 1, 2 and 3) was built first (its foundation stone laid 5 September 1894 by Sir Willaim Arrol; opened 3 September, 1896 by Lady Glen Coats) as a free-standing unit. Centre (administration and Ward 4) and west (Wards 5, 6 and ') blocks bear datestones, 1900 and 1907 respectively. Parapetted centre block has tall 3-storey and basement 3-bay south front, its advanced centre with Scots-style crow-stepped gable and angle bartizans (modern 1st floor ward entension to right of centre bay); also symmetrical flanking wings with advanced ends; steep French roofs central may originally have been iron-crested. Block at west is similarly composed to south front, but with timber-framing in gable heads; polygonal conservatory/sun-room wing at west end, large stair window central on north wall. East block is also similar, with large stair window (stair on centre block is centrally-placed on plan and top-lit) at north, south front simplified at wall-head, roof also simplified, and piended (it had originally iron-crested Frecn roofs - see photograph of opening ceremony held at hospital).
LINKING RANGES both have walkways cantilevered over south front (area underneath that nearest east glazid in); also wrought-ironwork with art nouveau detailing.
CHAPEL is to north of main wing, and is dated 1934. Long flank is front wall, executed in red ashlar, entrance recessed on east gable, west gable with timber-framing.
On higher ground to north of main wing is former nurses' home; a villa-like building also by Bryden, 2-storeyed and asymmetrical, now the angle of a huge L-plan block, large (harled) wings having been added to east and to north. It has rusticated base, and conservatory.
Statement of Special Interest
One of the earliest purpose-built TB hospitals in the country, comparable in date to Glen o Dee, Banchory (originally called Nordrach on Dee, as it specialised in the 'Nordrach System' pioneered at Nordrach in Baden), which opened in 1900. With the decline in the need for TB accommodation, the hospital specialisation changed to care of the elderly and chronic sick. Listing formerly included the former Nurses' home, a villa like building also by Bryden with rusticated base and conservatory, but this has since been demolished (consent given 11/3/2002) and the listing amended accordingly on 7 June 2004.