Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MUIRHEAD OF LIFF, COUPAR ANGUS ROAD, LUNDIE AND MUIRHEAD CHURCH, INCLUDING GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB13220

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
25/02/1993
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Liff And Benvie
NGR
NO 34159 34448
Coordinates
334159, 734448

Description

Dated 1843. Broad rectangular-plan, 4-bay church. Rubble, stugged and margined dressings, slate roof. Round-headed windows with droved and chamfered margins; coped skews with skewblocks; corniced birdcage bellcote with bell to N gable, block finial to S gable, ridge ventilator; corniced wallhead stacks to W elevation.

S GABLE: modern square-headed door to centre, gabled canopy porch, window to left, chamfered and louvred aperture to roof space.

E ELEVATION: 4 windows, round-headed chamfered and louvred aperture to roof space.

W ELEVATION: 2 windows off centre left, advanced bay with swept roof to right, advanced bay with pentice-roof to left, door to far left.

INTERIOR: roof and gallery appear boxed-in, cast-iron columns remaining; memorials to Rev W R Moncur, 1st minister, and Rev John Kennedy on E wall.

N GABLE: 2 tall windows, round-headed.

GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pyramidal-capped stugged ashlar gatepier to N, round-headed gatepost, coped rubble walls.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This church was built as Liff Free Church in the year of the Disruption, 1843. Muirhead united with Lundie in 1953. Although of modest architectural quality, the church is listed particularly because it dates from 1843. Part of a B group with Lundie and Muirhead War Memorial, The Old School House 147 Coupar Angus Road, Muirhead School (Original Building) and Muirhead School (Later Building).

References

Bibliography

Arthur B Dalgetty, THE CHURCH AND PARISH OF LIFF (1940), p41.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MUIRHEAD OF LIFF, COUPAR ANGUS ROAD, LUNDIE AND MUIRHEAD CHURCH, INCLUDING GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 23:58