Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING DUNCAN BURIAL ENCLOSURE, CHURCHYARD WALL AND GATEPIERSLB13090

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
11/06/1971
Supplementary Information Updated
26/08/1997
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Lundie
NGR
NO 29062 36610
Coordinates
329062, 736610

Description

Church with Romanesque core, partially rebuilt 1846, renovated Thomas Saunders Robertson 1892, including addition of porch and new bellcote; apse removed and neo-classical Duncan Mausoleum erected, Robert Mylne, dated 1789 (now converted to vestry). Coursed squared rubble, random rubble at W gable, slate roof; mausoleum, diagonally droved ashlar, polished panels, channelled ashlar domical roof. Pointed windows and door to S elevation of nave, chamfered jambs, moulded heads and blocked springing joints. Deep eaves.

S ELEVATION: 6-bay, symmetrical. Gabled porch 2nd bay from left (masking door), pointed window, round arched moulding above with chevron pattern, basket-arched door to right return; window to left, 2 windows to right, door and further window to far right.

W GABLE; blank, buttress to centre.

N ELEVATION: basement to centre with steps, coped wall with iron railings and gate, chimneybreast rising through eaves becoming square-section corniced stack; narrow round-headed window to left, blocked coal hole below; blocked window to far left.

E GABLE: ashlar birdcage bellocte, bell, ball-finialled pyramidal roof and decorative weathercock.

FORMER MAUSOLEUM: square-plan; door with wide corniced jambs in round-headed panel to left return, inscribed corniced lintel, fanlight, intrados and sunken panels, blank round-headed panels to N and E, cornice near wallhead, ashlar domical roof with drum at crown.

INTERIOR: boarded walls and embrasures, continuous timber hoodmould over windows, timber dentilled cornice, compartmentalised boarded ceiling; fragment of sacrament house inset in N wall; narrow round-headed (Norman?) window at N wall with deeply splayed reveals, wrought-iron memorial to John Robert Lester, minister 1953-77; stained glass memorial window to Hunter family of Easter Keith, 1897, war memorial on N wall; brass panel commemorating renovation of church in 1892 on W wall; framed texts from psalms and the Lord's Prayer on plaques (Stalker and Boyd, Dundee, 1892) flanking door to vestry at E wall; hexagonal, pilastered and panelled timber pulpit on plinth; stone columnar font..

DUNCAN BURIAL ENCLOSURE: tombs of the Duncan family and others adjoining former mausoleum to E enlcosed by low coped wall with wrought-iron railings.

CHURCHYARD, WALL AND GATEPIERS: 18th, 19th and 20th century tombstones; rubble churchyard wall approximately 2 metres high, partly drystane, snecked to S; 2 ashlar gatepiers to E with mannered caps.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was dedicated to St Lawrence, Martyr and united with Fowlis Easter in 1618; in 1953 Lundie was united with Muirhead and Fowlis Easter with Liff. The unpainted boarded interior in unusual in its extent. The inscription over the former mausoleum door reads 'COEMETERIUM GULIELMI DUNCAN EQ AURAT ET BARONETTI MEDICI REGII MDCCLXXXIX; it pertians to Sir William Duncan, physician to George II and uncle of Adam, Viscount Camperdown whose remains are also buried in the Duncan burial enclosure. The structure compares to the Mausoleum of the Stuarts of Eaglescairnie, Bolton Churchyard, East Lothian. The church is A listed because of the surviving Romanesque mansonry and the Robert Mylne masuoleum.

References

Bibliography

Howard Colvin, DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS (1978), p577.

Arthur Daw, 'The Little World of Lundie', in SCOTS MAGAZINE, January 1970.

Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1879), vol II, p63.

MacGibbon and Ross, THE ECCLESIASTICAL ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, (1896), vol I, pp382-3.

OSA (1793), vol VII, p281.

Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OF FORFARSHIRE, (1884), vol IV, p260.

Lundie Estate Accounts, 26 December 1846, DARC GD/L/1d 4/1.

TRANSACTIONS OF THE ABERDEEN ECCLESIOLOGICAL SOCIETY (1890) p72 (1891) p84.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PARISH CHURCH, INCLUDING DUNCAN BURIAL ENCLOSURE, CHURCHYARD WALL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/11/2018 20:16