Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CLUSHMILL MILL HOUSE, INCLUDING STABLESLB13080

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/08/1992
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Lundie
NGR
NO 30105 37170
Coordinates
330105, 737170

Description

Later 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan mill house with single storey, L-plan service block at rear. Snecked rubble at front, random rubble elsewhere, stugged and margined quoins and window dressings, piended slate roof. 12-pane tilt windows (replacing original sash and case); shouldered and corniced end stacks; cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers at front.

S ELEVATION: door at left return of single storey flat-roofed stone porch at centre, base course, cornice and blocking course, window at S; windows at main elevation to left and right, 3 windows at 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: French doors formed from former window at right; single storey bay at far right with 2 windows (original 4-pane sash and case at right).

W ELEVATION: original casement window at left, 2 modern windows at right.

INTERIOR: well stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail; some original chimneypieces, decorative and moulded plaster cornices.

STABLES: single storey, rectangular-plan stable block at rear, possibly early 19th century formed from outbuildings of earlier mill house. Random rubble with irregular stugged quoins, some brick infill at front, slate roof, brick stack. 3 stable doors at front, window at right return.

Statement of Special Interest

This house does not appear on the 1860 OS map; the OS name book mentions a single storey mill house in 1860. There is a cheese press at the rear of the house.

References

Bibliography

OS maps, 1860, 1902.

OS name book for Lundie and Fowlis Parishes, 1860.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLUSHMILL MILL HOUSE, INCLUDING STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:34